Read 2 comments as:
Filter By
Hello Everyone. I am a 2nd year student at a mid tier NLU. My batch rank is falling down tremendously and my dream of working in a Tier 1 law firm looks at stake now. What do I need to do now if I want to work at Tier 1? How important in rank in consideration for internships at Tier 1 so that I could get a PPO?
I am not gonna sugarcoat things for you, batch rank is important, especially for tier-1 law firms jobs and internships. Since you are from a mid-tier NLU, maintaining a good batch rank will be even more important. There are people with average or even poor batch ranks that get into tier 1 law firms, but they generally make up for it by being impressive in other areas such as co-curriculars, publications and having good oratory skills.

Since you're in your second year, you can still salvage the situation. Start taking your studies seriously and improve your rank as much as possible. Try your hand at academic writing and try to get published in reputed national or international journals. If you have no experience in academic writing, start off with publishing at reputed blogs such as IndiaCorpLaw or SpicyIP and move up from there.

Just in case you're not able to get a job at a tier 1 law firm by the time you graduate, know that it is not the end of the world. There are many good tier 2 or tier 3 law firms as well that provide decent remuneration and excellent learning opportunities. Work hard there, learn everything that you can and you will surely be able to make the switch to a tier 1 firm.