Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
I am in one of the top-5 NLUs. I am gravitating towards becoming an in-house counsel. Will doing CS help me in any way or can I do without it?
CS and Legal Departments are separate in almost all big companies. So CS is not really required.
A lot of companies have CS+Legal council same as well , and they are paid massively.

A CS who knows about corporate litigation has huge scope in the industry .
CS Qualification is not at all required. The type of work that is expected of lawyers and CS is different. I read a handbook related to this topic last year. It's published by Lawsikho and is available for free on their website. It cleared my doubts and I hope you'll be benefitted from it.
Is the person who wrote that booklet a CA or a practising lawyer? Because otherwise it is unlikely to provide any useful or authentic advice.
I have done a little research on this topic. If we look at the NIFTY 50 companies there are about 8 Companies which have the same person holding the position of Company Secretary and General Counsel/ Legal Head/ Chief Legal officer. So that is about 16% of the top Indian companies. However, it is far more common for mid level and small companies to have same people look after legal and CS work.

Some big companies with the same person as CS and GC are HUL, HDFC Bank, Nestle, Britannia, Titan, Eicher Motors.

In conclusion, having CS degree might be useful but even if you dont go for CS you can get a job in in the the inhouse legal team.
But I guess all 50 of them have around 10 company secretaries minimum in their secretarial department so to say.

And they are paid massively.

Mind you Company Secretary Of PVR ( Not even under nifty 50's bracket) gets 6cr+ stock options per annum and he is not even 60yrs of age 🥲🥲🥲
Okay, so let me share my exp.

I started CS after I joined law school. Completed Foundation during my 2nd Sem. Completed Executive by the end of my 6th Sem. Enrolled in CS Professional cleared 6 out of 8 papers by my 8th Sem - but never completed the course - even after 7-8 years from enrollment. Do not even intend to complete.

Why did I not complete?
I chose my calling/ sub-set in the legal profession where CS served no practical purpose. Knowledge is always welcome but the degree is not required. So never bothered to pursue and complete. Do not see any use in future as well.

Why did I even start then?
Someone told me CS will better my employment opportunity. Had a lot of free time.

Pros & Cons (to the extent of time I was pursuing the course).

Pros: Was something in addition to the regular law course. Always allowed me to know something more. Was always a plus point on the CV for securing internships. Helped me score really good marks in my law subjects like Corporate Laws and Tax.

Cons: Takes some time and effort but very much a doable course along with law. Don't see any cons as such. Also do not think I would have done anything more worthwhile if I had not enrolled in CS. Maybe I would have put in the time and effort in CS 1.6 (which I still did!).
The emphasis in the CWA course (now called CMA) is on Cost & Management Accounting - domains that don't tie in with a law degree particularly when you compare CMA with CS.
The problem with doing CS is the mandatory long term internship of 2 years. This is possible for GLC and other Mumbai University students but not for the ones who are in NLU.
there is absolutely no harm in doing CS , also it has numerous benefits .

if you are into corporate law CS is your go to degree dude , in law school we are just taught the basics company law but in CS it is exhaustive + IBC + CR+ FEMA and what not .

not an easy degree to get as well though, but manageable .
I don't know about you guys, but I work in house and got a 20% increment upon getting the CS qualification. I think it is just another feather in the cap.