Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
I was wondering if moving to Dubai for an Indian lawyer who has worked with a Tier1 law firm for 2 years is a good move. Please share the possible pros and cons and if there any opportunities currently open
Is there anyone working in Dubai who can give some insight into this. Thanks!
Yes, definitely but only if you work in an international law firm or multinational company.
I work for a magic circle firm in Dubai, am of Indian origin. If you want to succeed, you will have to work hard and long hours wherever you work, but quality of life is superb and the pay is more than the UK/US (as there is no income tax).
Can you please provide names of law firms that are likely to hire Indian lawyers for their Dubai office?
Hi,

I am a citizen of India and a law graduate with a year exp in a local firm , I'd like to work in an international law firm and would like to understand the road map , should I get an llm from uae or a licence or internship
Why don't you try for construction? It's a booming sector where Indians are preferred. From what I hear- free air tickets as well.
Please guide with the law firm name? I have no clue about that market
From my experience, here are my two cents:

1. Chances of landing a job are moderate to high if there is US/UK LLM. Not impossible but very difficult with Indian degree/bar admission alone.
2. Keep in mind the preference for Arabic speaking lawyers, both by law firms and MNCs. Although there are organizations hiring non-Arabic speakers, the recent trend is quite discouraging.
3. With same qualifications (assuming you have a US/UK LLM), Indian lawyers are not paid the same as compared to Western and regional nationalities.
4. RE-relocation: If you plan to return to India, Indian law firms and MNCs will likely not take your Middle East experience into account as, simply put, India is a different ball-game. Transactional lawyers solely focusing on M&A type of work may be exception to this but that's really a small percentage of the whole lot. Remember, when you return to India, the Indian law firm or MNC/Indian company will expect you to take a big cut from Middle East salary (also, not to forget income tax).
5. Dubai in particular is very expensive city, including health care and education if you are relocating with family.
6. In a nutshell, it is a good place for a short stint probably while you are still a bachelor.

Note: relocating on spouse's sponsorship visa and financial assistance, is a different scenario - I have known many lawyers who in my judgement have taken up jobs in Middle East without preference for sector/law firm or in-house, to keep themselves occupied.
There is a University of Birmingham in dubai itself, do you think getting a masters from there and having 1 year work ex in india as a corporate lawyer one cand land a decent job in dubai? And what is the salary one should expect?
Bhai, its not a matter of you choosing dubai - that, anyone living in india will do. Its a matter of dubai choosing you.
Dubai, they prefer either Arabs (Lebanon or Egypt), Whites (all foreign, local law firms have white lawyers)

I haven't seen Indians that successful. Some kerala mallu people do compliances work and other grunt work for local firms and companies.

International firms, they prefer to hire whites in Dubai more than London. Because dubai is already fully indian. Adding an additional Indian or Pakistani doesn't add international acclaim.