Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
Just what the title suggests. I have read a lot of unsavoury things on this forum and elsewhere about faculty behavior or deteriorating student-faculty relations. For a change, I would like to know some of the names who have been trying their best to help the students get through these tough times inside or out of the virtual classroom. You may mention the incident or just name the person and/or the institution. I think as a whole, empathy quotient is a very important attribute for a teacher, and one which is not emphasised upon adequately. You may mention names based on pre-COVID times too. By the way, I'm not looking for only deadline extensions, but other instances of display of empathy too.
Not a single example from anywhere? Wow, that really says a lot about the direction that legal education in this country is taking.
I personally have left law school years back, but I would like to name Prof. MP Singh here. Not only was he really passionate about legal education in general and his subjects in particular, but he was also years ahead of his time and understood the problems that students, especially first generation learners could be facing.
Not a single example only tells me one of three things:
(i) students are too busy elsewhere to see this thread and share
(ii) students are only bothered to come here and moan, and
(iii) students are far too entitled to believe that whatever relaxations that have been made on account of Covid were the least that could have been done and is nothing worth sharing.

@2 - your assumption about the direction of legal education only shows the biased viewpoint against law schools/admins/faculty members that people come to this forum with.

PS: At NALSAR, I know students were allowed to submit papers in 2021 for courses that ended in April 2020. How is that for empathy?
Too empathetic.

Our faculty keeps postponing the project submissions deadlines. I am in fifth year and now it seems the deadline to submit projects is before I join my job.
Err...what is preventing you from submitting before the deadline if you are done with your assignments already? Let those who need the additional time use it.
That β€œdeadline is before joining job” was said as a joke.

Anyway, extensions are for everyone. Admin has been super cooperative.
Got this mail from Professors Oishik Sircar and Sanskriti Sanghi, we really appreciate you!

Quote:
Dear everyone, All of us are going through an unprecedented experience of fear and doom. Many of us have lost our friends, family, and parents. Several are ill at home or at hospitals or caring for those around us. All of us are worried sick about not being spared as the contagion spreads. There is no template available to us to either deal with the shock of such losses and no script available for us that tells us how to grieve and mourn those who have passed on. In our Jurisprudence courses, we've not had the chance to know each other by face but despite the disembodied experience of teaching and learning we do feel that there is some minimal sense of a shared community that we've come to build, how much ever tenuous that reciprocity might be. It is to honour that community that we are writing to all of you today to tell you that you should not hesitate to write or call us for any concern that you might have. If you are under any difficulty--and there is no metric for measuring it--just write and tell us that you need an extension and tell us when you think it will be convenient for you to submit. Don't wait for our approval. Consider it granted as long as you have informed us. Please don't send any documentary evidence--we don't doubt you at all. If you cannot email, send us a text. If you can do neither, still don't worry. Let us know when you can. If you want to speak with us regarding anything related to the course or about anything else, we are available. It might allow us an opportunity to share our fears and vulnerabilities as well--all of us in the teaching team have either lost family members and friends, have had to take on caregiving responsibilities, are sick with other family members, or constantly worried about folks who are fighting the virus. Sending all of you lots of love. Take care of yourselves and those around you.