Read 37 comments as:
Filter By
Enjoy your time, but do not waste it. Pick up as many skills, interests as possible. You would never get this much amount of time to devote to your interests in life. Do not do anything that compromises your health in the long run, be it regular late night parties, compulsive smoking or boozing, or not exercising out of laziness. Build relationships that are likely to last long.
1. Getting obsessed about moots. Mooting, in most cases, is absolutely useless and you are always at the mercy of your team members, the judges and the proposition for a good mooting experience. I would rather focus on reading as much literature (legal literature mostly, but anything you read is bound to help) as possible and getting better with legal writing.

2. Not focusing on grades. Grades are important, no matter what anyone says. You can never be sure what you end up doing post law school. Grades should not end up being an impediment to your choices, especially when its quite easy to score decently in most law schools.

3. Not contributing to college events. Make sure you become an active participant in college events and give as much to your college as possible. I know many in the litigation circles who actively give back to their alma mater. In turn, they enjoy many intangible benefits for being closely associated with their alma mater.
I concur wrt Moots. It's a peculiarly recent Indian obsession. If you're gunning for Corp or Solicitor practice it's useless. The same goes for practice at the Original Side. The sadly defunct VakilBombay said it best here, a while back:

Quote:
If you enjoyed mooting as a law student, and thought that you would get into litigation because of it, youโ€™re in for a rude shock. First of all, moot courts were all about the law, but litigation is about facts. In moots, students often skip the facts by saying something like โ€œif your Lordships are conversant with the facts of the case, I will come to my arguments in lawโ€ฆโ€ This is unheard of in counsel practice on the Original Side of the Bombay High Court. In fact, itโ€™s often said that law schools teach you to apply complex law to simple facts, whereas in litigation, you apply simple law to complex facts. Second, preparing memorials for moot courts does not train you for preparing pleadings on the Original Side. Memorials are like written submissions, which come only at the end of a heavy case. Preparing pleadings, on the other hand, is nothing like writing a memorial. Itโ€™s a remarkably mundane process, where you have to respond to each and every paragraph of the pleadings made by your opponent (the process is called making โ€œpara-wise denialsโ€) and you have to โ€œdeny and disputeโ€ everything which goes against you.
https://www.legallyindia.com/the-bench-and-the-bar/6-things-all-bombay-hc-lawyers-must-know-to-become-a-superstar-of-the-original-side-20141020-5212
Enjoy life in general. As a student, I always life would be better once I start earning. I was wrong.
1. Don't get into blood feuds with anyone - Law schools are sheltered and safe places; gives a false sense of balance and equality. Work is hardly that; connections and patronage matter. People remember college feuds and the dislike festers well into professional life. In contra, if you are someone well connected and think that you can get away with it and bully others, remember that all it takes is one slip in the professional life to permanently damage your future; giants have been brought down through patience and cunning.

2. Don't flaunt your 'tag': If you're from a premier school, good for you. Practically, in life, it means nothing; you are entitled to nothing. When you do internships or work with professionals from other institutions, never ever even let a hint of superiority. Everyone reads the same law and could come up with the same points. Too much attachment to your institution also reeks of insecurity.

3. Build emotional stamina: Observe behaviors. Take hurt and rejection in your stride and get used to them. Humiliation is most often the upfront price we must pay for competence. Get used to it.

4. Kompromat: Be vigilant and ensure that there is no digital picture or video or message of you which is of compromising nature. You don't want them to come up when your name is under consideration for designation or elevation.

I didn't do these and I particularly regret a certain video.
Shit, I've done one of those, and there's a video too... what do I do now..
Try and get it deleted. If you know someone at NLS then ask them about what had happened to a current 5th year because of a video that was shot when he was in his 1st year.
Smoke enough herb to stimulate your mind for out of box thinking. But not so much to numb your brain and make you lazy.

Try to network with the friendly seniors, and try to mentor juniors.

Remember some subjects like international law may sound good on paper, but require tremendous investment of time and money to make any career out of them. Instead focus on practical subjects like contracts law and corporate law, especially if your family's financial situation can't support an LLM.

Try to develop skills like academic and business writing. You will understand the importance of it once you leave college.

If you find yourself not liking law as much. Use time in college to develop another skill. Don't impulsively drop out. For instance, I know a junior who got a scholarship for law school, but ended up becoming a web developer in Europe. He finished his law degree though and used his time in law school to pick up valuable useful skills.
"Smoke enough herb to stimulate your mind for out of box thinking. But not so much to numb your brain and make you lazy."

Best college advise.
I'm guessing that junior you're talking about is Donnie Ashok, a GNLU graduate. He's an awesome guy. Was an IDIA scholar, and started the website Superlawyer as well, which was quite popular for a while.
Yeah I mean, I thought college life is nothing. Realised that I wasted the prime of my life in a university where it was all work and no fun.

Donโ€™t believe the university rankings, do your own research and choose a university. And if youโ€™re already in a crap uni, make sure your life doesnโ€™t become like your uni.
Not being clear about which field I wanted to pick up, although it turned out to be a blessing in disguise (atleast so far).

I heard as late as 5th year that I should have interned in 2-3 offices practicing law of my choice, by my 4th year.
This whole mediation and negotiation thing was just picking up during my time and I did not think too much of it then. Wish I had tried my hand at some of those.
There's only one place for first generation lawyers to feel secure career wise,

NLSIU.
That hasn't been my experience here but then I do want to litigate after graduation so
I should have spent less time on campus on idle gossip and watching movies in my room, and more time exploring the cultural/arts scene in the city and doing constructive stuff. I should have also looked to date girls from other colleges, as NLU girls can be pretty selfish and mean.
That was not true even before NLSIU increased its intake and came up with 180 strong batch that it has got no hope to place after 5 years.
Keeping telling yourself that. With a batch size of 240, expecting a 100 percent placement rate is naive.

And that batch size is gonna increase all the way to 500 as stated by dear Sudhir ji.
I graduated from a good law school, I wish I had not studied law.

Infact, today I feel that a job of security guard would have been better for me

And I can't โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ
Dont live life in law school hankering for some Tier1 shitty firms job like in CAM or Trilegal.Your life and your legal career is not about these firms and their psthetic vulture culturesThse firms are not worth the salaries for the shit they put their employees through, with the tenacious audacity to paint it like a necessary rite of passage to become great advocates. There is no need to put up with their shit.Amarchand had made chasing Tier1 jobs glamorous,like Bollywood.Today people see what CAM is and and what Bollywood is.
Don't indulge in sexual activities, become a celibate, and acquire insane skills.
Because it is the be-all and end-all, the Alpha and the Omega, the past and the present and the future.
A 21-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.