Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
This can't be applicable to unidisciplinary universities like NLUs, where there are at the most two departments, law and social sciences.
That's what you are calling pointing out the practical real life situations nowadays, are you?
Actually, you are right. There is only one 'subject' taught in most NLUs, which is law. So the issue of separate departments does not arise at all. People who are saying otherwise, or downvoting your comment, need to go back to their classrooms.
In today's TOI edit page, the economist SA Aiyar has written an article about Bengal and made a disturbing claim (below). I hope this does not hold true for the upcoming NUJS faculty recruitments. I also hope this wasn't true for the NUJS VC selection, where the selection was mysteriously carried out during the two-month tenure of the acting Cal HC CJ instead of waiting for Justice Radhakrishnan to take over as the new CJ, and where the government initially appointed TMC party spokesman Suparno Moitra to the search committee (removed after the SJA objected to his lack of legal or academic qualifications and threatened legal action).

Quote:
Mamata has excellent credentials as a secularist, but not as a champion of other human rights or institutional freedoms. I was part of a group of journalists touring West Bengal in the 2016 state election. At a meeting we had with Kolkata’s top academics, the professors fulminated against Mamata, alleging that not only seats in good colleges but even top academic posts were being sold or handed over to her cronies. They complained that academic excellence had ceased to matter and closeness to the TMC was the only path to success.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/blogs/Swaminomics/bengal-win-for-secularism-but-not-human-rights/
This sadly holds true for many states today, whether under one party or another. Public institution stewardships being handed over to cronies. For instance, even in Bengal, the central universities get right wing stooges appointed at the top. Like Biswa Bharati university.
You can't look at the lowest common denominator and be in denial about the decline of NUJS under Mamata.
Which part of my comment was in favour of Mamata? Or has your bhakti completely deprived you of logic? You are trying to project this state as an exception. I'm saying that such a bad scene is prevailing in several states, including this one.
I would discuss the decline of the institution with people from it and stakeholders, not with anonymous trolls.