Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
A lot of the chatter on threads here has been about work abuse, crap life, and a lot many seniors suggesting - get out of big law before it consumes you. This has immensely dissuaded me from considering corporate law as a career (though I am still enamoured by the money and status). Is the money and status worth it in the initial years? Also, are all top law firms so hard on juniors that you get no life? Grinding 24x7? Or have there been instances that you felt that you belonged to that place - someone stood up for you/covered for you/gave you a day off because you worked hard earlier?
Was wondering if someone could share the good moments at a big law firm (not the money and job stability benefit - the moments made you feel like you belong at the place)?
There is no status in biglaw, only money. Unfortunately, unlike a partner in Mckinsey who has status, very few outside the corp law circle and the elite finance community would be aware of Khaitan. The marketing or sales head of a big MNC would be more aware about a consultancy services firm like Mckinsey or a big investment bank like MS. A law firm like Khaitan or Trilegal is definitely not a well known brand among people who are not lawyers. But a Mckinsey is a much larger brand and a partner there will definitely get more respect. Also, even the PE clients who are very smart individuals only call a partner in CAM for documentation work. They don't respect corp lawyers either.Legal scrubbing and documentation is just a necessary evil for their exits and investments. An extremely successful litigating lawyer or an SC/HC judge definitely has huge status.
Like the forever mark certification, here is a rare event.

It was a long weekend with the Friday off. Client emails on a Thursday evening, saying they want the something on urgently on Friday. My Partner replies we are closed for the long weekend and we will get back early next week, once our office reopen. The work didnt seem like it was that urgent. While this should be normal, there are more people than not, who would said okay. Judging what is really urgent is a very difficult skill, so is saying β€œno” or β€œnot now”. So I was impressed with my boss.

Also separately after slogging for some 2 weeks off; i was given a day off, while there was lots of work pending. While there was no one else to pick the lots of work, i took the day off, because i really needed some down time and i really didnt know when I would get a guilt free / boss mandated no work day again.

It is not always gloom, sometimes there are very bright events, though it is mostly a few people’s action that sticks out, as opposed to the β€˜Firm’ making you feel good about things.
Partner's name please? Or just firm and practice area? Would really love to work for someone like that.
To the two people who objected to this reply and down voted it. Could you please let me know, what made you object to this? What's the objectionable content / action. Curious to know.
There are some people who just visit the comments section here and randomly downvote comments without even reading those. Don't take it to heart.
Fair point. People keep pushing the boundaries, good and bad ways.