Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
This article from Swarajya today shows photos of beautiful AIIMS campuses under construction. It seems every state is getting one AIIMS. Each AIIMS has been declared an Institution of National Importance, like every IIT, IIM and NIT campus. Each AIIMS has also got several hundreds of crores of funding. Yet, NLUs continue to be treated as state government institutions and placed under control of governments which don't give a single paisa. It's high time that the CLAT Consortium, BCI, Supreme Court Bar Association and Society for Indian Law Firms take this up. These people are really good for nothing.I request Legally India to also lobby for this.

https://swarajyamag.com/news-brief/in-pictures-heres-how-work-on-indias-under-construction-aiims-projects-is-progressing
You should see the photos of the recently inaugurated MNLU Nagpur's new campus.
Medicine is useful and saves lives. That can be leveraged politically. NLUs are mostly useless and serve a minuscule minority. They aren't politically important enough. Like it or hate it, that's the stone cold truth.
You do realise that unlike NLUs, AIIMS campuses are actually full fledged hospitals along with being education institutions, and hence (rightfully so) have more capital deployed towards the physical infrastructure?
Yes, paper pushing contract vetting is the need of the hour over doctors
How dare you!

My boss has told me that it's life and death work that we do! I mean, why else would I be up at 2.30am proof reading a templated board resolution?
Lawyers are just as important as doctors. No society can function without rules.
is that what they're telling you at the clat coaching sweatshops now a days?
AIIMS produces world class research and doctors directly translating to saving of lives. They function 24x7 as multi-speciality hospitals and public health centres without which the public health system would collapse.

If you were to compare legal institutions and public health institutions, AIIMS's importance is at par with a constitutional court, and there too - while a court can and does function remotely, AIIMS can not and there lies the importance of unlimited finance for AIIMS and many more hospitals.

Yes law school is important, but you need to really introspect if you are actually comparing AIIMS and NLUs.
Not all of the AIIMS actually produce world class research, just like all IITs and IIMs don't. But your overall point is valid enough.
Really sad to see such negative comments against lawyers and NLUs by lawyers themselves. Gandhi, Ambedkar, Mandela, Obama and so many great leaders were lawyers. NLUs are meant to produce future generations of such leaders in India, be it in politics or academics or the corporate world. By that logic, should we say that IITs should not get funding as they produce millionaire capitalists like Sundar Pichai and Vinod Khosla? No, they also produce many inventors, politicians etc.

AIIMS, IIT, IIM and NLU: all these are the jewels of India and should be treated at par.
These jewels need to be reappraised. Somebody has slipped in some glasses for diamonds.