Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
We had a thread naming Covidiot law firms. What about Covidiot law school VCs who are not being sensitive to the situation?
He will easily win. Just yesterday, he replied to a long-pending student body email stating that he couldn't find time to reply to some of the most legitimate pressing issues for over a month. He has shown no concern for the mental health of student. All he has thus far done is to engage in senseless gimmicks and PR stunts.
It is no breaking news that Dr. Krishnaswamy, despite his stature as a scholar, has seldom found it easy to display sensitivity to the problems faced by students, regardless of whichever institution he has been a part of.
I think most VCs have been pretty fair for most of the pandemic. Maybe not immediately but whatsapp chatter indicates that most if not all came around pretty quickly. Maybe NLAT wasn't a good idea, but other than that I can't think of any student antagonistic ideas being implemented in NLUs.
NLSIU actually charged their outgoing batch for holding a virtual convocation! Who does that? They have also initially not been very amenable or sensitive to the problems that the students had been struggling with in the initial stage. Although eventually they got around to it from what I know.
NLUJ. Timed tests for an hour thrice a sem (two counted), then timed endterms (three hours, 100 mark paper) and a project submission. Substantial deductions for any delays. No relaxations granted or chance to improve the grade by submitting extra assignments or projects like at NALSAR etc. Only 15 days of deemed- told to intern online and "just log in". Complete adherence to that seventy percent attendance requirement
They even required their staff to physically attend office every day and take virtual classes from there during the peak first wave, until people started reporting infections.
RGNUL, no relaxations, literally none. We have strictly timed examinations and poor infrastructure
Nlud just gave two weeks off for people to cope with covid stress. More than happy to lose on this LI thread.
Yeah thankfully for you, this thread isn’t about placements. More than happy to let you win on this thread
It has been such a pleasant surprise to see admin responding to mental health issues faced by students
We should complain to the UGC and BCI about the teachers who are not giving paper submission extentions. Just ban these heartless and insensitive people for life from teaching.
If it's up to you, you would want to get the 5 year degree without submitting anything or giving any exam. If you've got the time and resources to comment here, you can submit your assignments in time. Go study.
As a teacher, why am I responsible for extensions? Ask the university administration to make a policy and instruct that the same be followed.

I am as harassed as you by the pandemic and on top of that, I am expected to [1] teach (remotely), [2] set papers and correct them, [3] take presentations and read term papers (all via soft copies). In addition to this, I am required to answer a multitude of emails every day. My parents are also ill. My wife has asthma and my kid has school online. I am trying to cope up but you lot have no sympathy for me.

You want an extension, ask the admin to take one policy decision. Else, you suck it up like I am. You guys are one of the whiniest generations of students that I have seen in my decade of teaching.
As a recent student, now turned teacher, I can't help but play devil's advocate for a moment here. Yes, my mental health is in shambles too, but I cannot hang up my teacher costume and let my academic program run to ruin, pandemic or not. I've been extra accommodative of genuine requests, grading liberally and all that, but students have almost universally tried to exploit the situation. I have great sympathy for those undergoing mental and physical health issues during this never-ending crisis, but I need active student cooperation to ensure that you graduate with the education you signed up for.

Also, when was the last time you checked in on your professor's mental health and family's wellbeing? Try it once. Kindness and empathy are two way streets.
In addition to what others are saying, it seems as if mental health issues have become a crutch to escape from shouldering responsibilities. I get it that the pandemic has added on to everyone else's responsibilities. Most of the teachers can and do accommodate genuine problems from what I am aware of. But an assignment on which a student would spend 48 hours, is often not submitted even in 30 days, and the excuse is that in the last 48 hours, something has happened that makes it impossible for the student to do it at all. This generation is just not learning any time management techniques at all. If people are suffering from genuine problems over a period of time, it is really not that hard to keep the teacher in loop. Most of the time, the teacher would understand and accommodate. Not submitting, and then informing later as a casual afterthought and often not even that, expecting the teacher to be available for evaluation/viva whenever it is convenient for the student, not having the basic courtesy to inform in advance when you're unable to turn up for an appointment already agreed upon, and then expecting to be treated at par in terms of evaluation and honours with students who have actually worked hard, balanced their responsibilities, managed time well, and fulfilled reasonable expectations, these are all indicators of gross entitlement. It seems that students who indulge in such practices have never been taught better earlier at school level or at home. Well, they need to learn it before joining the professional world. The pandemic has brought out amazing resilience and empathy in some people, and atrocious behaviour in others. If you cannot cope with the minimum standards expected of a student because of certain reasons, then you cannot expect simply to be condoned of all requirements and promoted, or given high grades, internships, jobs etc. You can expect the university to treat you kindly, allow you reasonable second chances, but you need to show good faith for that too. One way street it is not.
Christ University VC .

Always this institution think they are above the law. Its imposing offline exams in the middle of may for final year students during the Covid-19 pandemic. It already violated it's own circulars and imposed pen paper examination for students promised exams on campus computers , didnt obey Karnataka Governments GO on promotion of students .
Christ is consistent in its tomfoolery, good to know. Graduated from there a few years ago and had to get hours of therapy to get over some of the trauma inflicted by that miserable place. The stunts they pull off in the name of academic rigour is unbelievable.
A 5-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.