Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
There is a lot of advice going on here about how the partner you work for has a lot of impact on your career. I have recently moved into corporate law from a prior stint in-house (my first job was in-house at a reputed MNC, I worked there for less than a year and got bored).
Now, at my workplace, it's work all the time, day in and out. Covid is making things even more intolerable. I would like to know the name of the partner(s)/team(s) where folks have a comparatively better work life. I am not a slacker but would like to have something that resembles an iota of social life and some time to spend with family.

Please be candid here, no need to eulogize people unnecessarily, use anonymity to its advantage and post here only if your partner is chill. [...]

If you are working for a great partner, and you are considering hiring a corporate lawyer with a PQE of more than 1.5 years, please post here.
Partners work with limited people in their team. Anyone posting here will not exactly be "anonymous". Promoting a partner as "chill" may not be particularly acceptable to some either.
Guest is right, in law firms, if there is no pain there is no gain.
Some firms use a common pool of associates but there you don't really have much liberty to chose with whom you would be working.
I suggest you go back to your in-house stint, you don't know how many of us here at law firms will kill to get to experience something even remotely close to getting bored.
As someone else correctly said, this is not the correct forum.

You want to speak with your college batchmates and seniors - the ones who will be honest with you, not the ones who will give you sanitized "professional" bullshit response.

However, generally speaking, firms work on a feast or famine mode. So, the middle ground that you're search for is not that easy to find, especially when you consider the promotion, increments / bonus, and partnership opportunities in practice areas where your life will be generally relaxed.

A previous boss was a reasonable and decent human being who didn't push me if that wasn't absolutely required at the time and ensured I had a breather when that was possible. That boss was miles better than any other partner in that firm and that firm was a much better place to work than most other firms. Even so, there were many many late nights. And if you're wondering what the catch was: that firm paid peanuts in the first few years.

With 1.5yr PQE, unfortunately, you have many years of the grind still left.
What a sorry state of affairs that positive feedback about partners is discouraged. No wonder the culture in our industry will never change.