Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
This happens to be my first publication of a query on the platform and I request you to pardon me and LI to not publish it if this is not the right platform.

Okay, a little bit of introduction, I am a partner at a Tier-1 law firm and I dwell in New Delhi. From my colleagues, ex-colleagues, and co-alumni, I’ve heard about lucrative professorship packages at JGLS. I am not aware if I am going through a mid-life crisis but I am considering a move into academia within 2 years. I have made a considerable amount of network in corporate law but not a lot in academia. While the move seems lucrative, I had a few questions dwindling over my mind for a lot of days, I’ll place the questions and anyone who has any insight on even a single question be it a current professor, ex-professor, student or ex-student, it would be really helpful for me:-

1) (a very silly one indeed) How do I, as a law firm partner approach them for a position of professorship? I hope you comprehend that at this position most of our moves are via contacts and not applications to HRs, I have met their vice-chancellor quite a few times, should I just ask him directly? How did you get a job over there?

2) I am aware of the moolah for someone with a PQE similar to me which is really attractive. They provide a lot of bonuses, freedom and amenities as well and it is commendable. But how is life like? If I move, I am considering moving to the Jindal Global City which is currently being constructed opposite to the campus. I have heard its sprawling, but how is your current life like? I’d be coming with my family and we reside in a really social apartment here in New Delhi. And a prime motive behind the move would be to get a better life out of the office, know more people and invest more time in law. I want my kids to have other kids to play with. I hope you know what I am talking about, if anyone could help me with this?

3) Pay Packages are fixed for a certain position in professorship or there is room for negotiation based on seniority, network, work ex, and potential contribution?

4) Is there a work pressure, if yes, how is it like? How many days can you take off? Paid leaves and unpaid leaves?

5) I’ve been to JGLS and it's really close to New Delhi which is great but how is Sonipat as a city?

6) How is the faculty-faculty and faculty-student interaction at JGLS?

7) Any other relevant advice? I would appreciate all kind of feedback but if someone has moved to JGLS from corporate law it would be extremely relevant for me as opposed to someone who has always been in academia.

Even if you want to comment on my choice, you can, I am in the exploration phase. Although it has come to my knowledge that JGLS is a really good option if you want to move away from the hustle and the bustle. It’s good pay that they offer. Good life, I have heard. Tell me more about it?
As a student, I believe the life is pretty chill. I’ve seen profs partying around, they are super chill. I’ll wait for someone who has been there to add more to it. But it’s a good choice.
I absolutely do not believe that any person who is a partner in an Indian tier one firm could have written this. In fact, this seems like [...] providing some publicity to Jindal.
Maybe, I'm just gullible, but why do you think this isn't legit?
I doubt they’d hire you as full time faculty without advanced degrees and NET? They might give you a visiting gig but that would be about it?
@Guest - They don't care about NET. They are autonomous so not bound by NET but yes they will need a LLM degree for sure (and preferably a foreign one, not sure what's the obsession with foreign LLM but it is there).

@OP

1) If you give VC a hint, usually he is more than happy to induct people on his own.
2) No idea of comp at that level, have few friends at entry-level, (lecturer and Asst Prof), so can say the pay scale is nice.
3) There is no standardisation of pay when it comes to Jindal, you get what you can negotiate. True at least at the entry-level, not sure why would it change at the upper level.
4) Nothing comparable to a law firm but at your level, they will expect you to contribute in major ways, I am guessing academic publications are easily manageable but since you are a law firm partner, you will be expected to bring employers for hiring, get guest speakers, essentially leverage your circle in any way that can help grow the institution.
5) Sonipat is okayish. Though if you decide to stay in Jindal city, you would primarily be relying on nearby shops and JGU campus for all your needs. JGU to be honest is a pretty self-sufficient ecosystem in itself.
6) Don't know about faculty-faculty interaction but faculty-student interaction is pretty much what you decide it to be. Some Prof wanted 0 contact beyond classrooms, and some were super friendly with folks. Totally your call.
7) Nothing that comes to mind.
I think it depends on what scale you’re looking for. If you want to be a full professor I think they would want to see a PhD too.
A 15-word comment posted 3 years ago was not published.