Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, I am about to graduate from one of the NLUs and have a job at a Tier I law firm. I believe I have gotten lucky and have secured the job. My CV had nothing - no research papers, no decent moots and I wasn't among the top 20 of my batch either. I have heard about a lot of seniors from college who have dropped out of law firm job because they couldn't take it. Now, some of these were the so called studs of the college. I wonder - if they couldn't do it, how will I? Can some one please guide me? What skills are expected from an A0? I have poor writing skills - not that I do not know Grammar, I just do not write well. Will that be a hindrance? What sort of communication skills are required?

I have seen multiple LI thread on how to prepare for so and so practice and I believe I have just been wasting the past one year since I got my job, idling away during the lockdown and afterwards. While others have mooted and did a lot of work, I have just finished reading a few books (all non-law and most of them fiction).
I can understand what you must be going through having went through the same a few years ago. There are a few points that can probably help:

i) Sit down with yourself and rejoice whole-heartedly. You have managed to secure a job in the current market. It is no mean feat. You maybe lucky but that was not a consideration for your hiring. You did not have the moots or the papers but they matter very little once you are on the job. The recruiters might have seen some qualities in you that you might not be aware of. Probably, you are enthusiastic about work and are keen. That is must-have quality for a first year associate. So, do not put it down to you being lucky, put it down to the person you are.

ii) The studs don't survive because their egos can't take the everyday slogging. Prepare yourself mentally for the long haul. Take care of your physical and mental health. Get into a routine of working out and meditating. It will help you immensely when the partner/SA is barking at you incessantly for a deliverable that was due a day ago. Chalk out a way to keep your calm under pressure cooker situations. Such people are always valued.

iii) With respect to writing skills, you are not going to be writing blogs on the job. You will certainly be drafting stuff but you will have precedents for that. Keep reading those fiction books and read as many as possible, because once here you will not have the chance. You can read some non-fiction too. A person who knows more than just their profession is always good to have. It will help you build relationships. The partner/SA barking at you might find common interest with you which will help in the relationship bit.

iv) Start reading the pink papers, if possible. A corporate lawyer who is aware of what is happening around him is the best kind of corporate lawyer. Read about the transactions that are happening. You might just get to work for the same clients once you start working. Get a crash course in basis economics and financials.

v) Finally, enjoy yourself! This time will not come back. Shed the guilt. Invest heavily in your mental and physical well-being. The time that you invest now will pay you handsomely once you are there.
Don't worry. What you're going through is more common than you think. Imposter syndrome in elite professional services like law firms/ investment banks etc is all pervasive - not just at an A0 level but also at every level upto the top. The feeling of inadequacy never really goes away. It is also one of the reasons why the work culture at these places is the way it is.
Going into my law firm job I felt all the exact fears that you do. I had nothing special on my CV. Just internships. Was from a top 3 law school (NIRF). Fifth year was a long chill session.
I learnt everything on the job. Have faith in yourself. Take this as a learning opportunity. The learning curve will be steep.
Knowing the law is overrated. You can learn that on the job. People skills matter more in such an environment.
Are you kidding me.Have you never interned in a tier 1 firm. Do you think the job per se was cerebral.I am talking about transactional practice.The job is anything but cerebral barring a few exceptions.You need a good attitude with common sense. Most importantly, you need to be efficient with the most mundane tasks and you need to be excellent with word.Only CAM has a formatting team.If you are bad with word and inefficient with mundane work, you are in for a tough time.You also need to project confidence.The tone of your question seems to suggest a lot of doubt and not confidence.
Good going, confusing apprehension with confidence. The attitude is fine, this person will spend that extra hour fine tuning a research because of the imposter fear and confidence will kick in after a few years. Blind confidence with no substance is of no use to anyone in the value chain.
You are exhibiting textbook symptoms of imposter syndrome. This is not a healthy outlook and it will hinder your progress. You got your foot in the door. Everyone who enters through the doors starts from scratch again. No one is looking at CGPA, moots or articles. You got the job.

Law firm work is not rocket science. And people with low GPA become Partners and succeed. All you need is confidence and a good work ethic. Just do yourself a favor and get help if you feel this self doubt is crippling you from doing the work you need to do. Don't forget to enjoy this moment before you start work. You are very fortunate to be in the position you are in. We are in an unprecedented global pandemic and many kids who have passed out are without work and have most likely lost a year.

Congratulations and keep your chin up.
Law firms have their fair share of bullies.

They smell fear the way a shark smells blood. Work this out.
I did not have a job after graduation and I slogged it out at an advocate's chambers for 5000 rupees a month. That covered my local train first class ticket cost and mobile recharges, that's it. Baaki ghar se paisa aata tha- post college. Koi Tier 1 firm ka batchmate beer ke liye bulata tha at leopolds to bahana bana deta tha ki kaam hai. But paise nahi the bro.
Haan bhai. Just made over 40 lacs this year and feel the need to visit a psychiatrist soon. At least, I was happier and sane then.
In first 2 years, the most important skill, in my view, is the ability to concentrate and comprehend what a clause/memo/paragraph says. It is tougher than it sounds and is the most useful whether for diligence, drafting or research. With distractions such as your phone and inability to just focus on the text often leads to sub-optimal performance. Pull out some contracts from websites such as SEC and practise - summarise what a document says and try re-drafting select clauses in your own words.

More medium term goals:

1. Certainly work on your English. I personally think it is very important to write correctly. Read a book such as "Legal Writing in Plain English".

2. Brush up basics in contract, property and company law. These are relevant for any practice area you join.

3. Read a blog such as Indian Corporate Law in stead of pink papers which are often wrong on law and just quote promotional views.

Hope this is useful.
You are extremely fortunate to get a tier 1 job. It is well known that if you are not from one of the top 3 NLUs, then batch rank and grades matter a lot when it comes to final selection. You are also entering a corporate law firm when India has one of the most open and liberal economies of the world. Please remember that unlike a litigator, who will get paid even if the country has a left of centre government which discourages foreign investment, you would perhaps have not been hired if India did not have such an open liberal economy. Just look at the kind of FDI that came in last year. Remember , that FDI and representing white shoe foreign investors is bread and butter for tier 1 firms.Those are the kind of clients who foot the bills and pay your salary. Tier 1 firms would be out of business if the government is not favour of foreign investment and discourages foreign holdings.Any government can very easily take such a position. Almost, the entire opposition space in India is occupied by left of centre politicians who favour more inclusive and equitable economic growth . You are indeed very lucky to be joining a top tier firm at this time. You will have plenty of work and no time to waste. Please enjoy yourself now before it is too late.
Its better to be nervous than over-confident. I'm sure you will do great. All the best!
Only skills that are expected of you are researching, formatting and proof-reading. Rest you will learn on the job. Nothing can prepare you for what's coming. Remember its not a race, its a marathon. A non-legal advice is to exercise for 30 mins daily. It really helps in the long run.