Read 32 comments as:
Filter By
How good are the professors at GLC, especially Mr. Pithawalla and Mr Daswani? Do they actively take efforts in subjects they are alloted?
If you are a GLC student, then you can ask this from your seniors instead of in this forum. If you aren't one, then one fails to see what business can it be of yours. It's not as if your decision to join GLC would depend on the answer to this question.

@Kian: I have a suspicion that this thread is an attempt to engage in individual muck-wracking.
Nope no intention of mud slinging.
I have just taken admission in institutional round and don't have any friends. So I saw this forum and asked if it is worth attending their lectures
I fail to understand what in such a harmless question could irritate you to the extent that you are seeking to call upon Kian’s interference.

The kid has asked a simple question and unless you are from division β€œB” of the GLC batches, you would not be enraged on a kid’s query, the answer to which, may help him/ her understand his way forward.

Even if the kid is not from GLC, I do not see any confidential information, meant only for GLC people, leaking out here. That ofcourse, you would understand if you have attended Pitha’s lectures.
Daswani hasn't been taking any lectures since the start of Covid I believe. His lectures are somewhat interesting.

Pithawalla is decent. Mostly reads from the textbooks that he has published and shares some anecdotes.

The textbooks are sufficient for you to score enough in the exams. Don't really need to attend any lectures.

For the laws that you end up finding interesting, you can always reach out to Daswani, Pithawalla, any other faculty or even your seniors to ask them what would be a good way to start reading up about that area of law.
Well before opting for GLC (or having selected GLC as the only decent option available) you must have aready heard a few things about the teaching staff. You will be surprised to see the extent of truthness in what you have already heard reagarding the permanent professors. The chances are that you would find a village based college’s teaching staff better than the permanent staff here.

For β€˜pre-legal study’ semesters, you would find only Bharwani (guest lecturer) and Ratho (permanent), who teach English and Political science; respectively, as the only two, who look, teach and behave like professors. From the 5th Sem you would only be able to bear the classes of Pitha and Daswani.

As far as Pitha and Daswani are concerned, I agree that they are good professors. You have to note that they are only empanelled as visiting professors. However, in my opinion they are over-hyped for the simple reason that, them apart, you would not be able to find anyone else who even looks, behaves or teaches Law subjects like a professor. Even the visiting faculty apart from these two does not look behave or teach like a professor.Most of them are insignificant advocates who pass their free time (which free time maybe upto 23 hours of their day) by teaching students.

That said, there are a few ex-students who visit the college as guest faculty. They hardly have any teaching experience.

At Glc your only aim after the third year is to secure a good internship and therefore you will hardly be in touch of any of the professors after your third year. (luckily)
For example- for the start β€œTEACHING”, wearing ironed shirts, buttoning your shirt, focusing on students’ queries, not fighting like kids, acting matured etc. And trust me, none of this is subjective.
Whether wearing an ironed shirt is important is definitely a subjective qualifier to 'being a professor'. It isn't a stated requirement anywhere.
Ohh really? Could you also tell your law firm partner or your senior in Court this when you go unbuttoned or in an unironed shirt?

Do not try to be an idealist. Talk practically.
The hang-ups or obsessions about appearance that exists in litigators or law firms are at best colonial hangovers and do not thankfully exist in legal academia. You focus on appearance rather than quality by calling it practical if you want to. I would rather focus on what the teacher is saying in class, and publishing, and the way in which they are trying to guide and mentor their students as the only marks of their quality. I've found that doing so has helped me tremendously in life.
That is why the first word is β€œteaching”. Apart from the few mentioned, please tell us what is the β€œacademia” in GLC.
Those who believe that formal attire and sartorial sharpness are conditions precedent for being a good academic/scholar, clearly live inside a very small bubble, and have never interacted with some of the best minds in legal academia both in India and abroad. The other requirements I would agree with in general, although even some of those appear to be quite subjective, such as 'acting mature'.
Okay. What is those GLC professors are not the β€˜best legal minds’? Least they can do is wear ironed cloths. Atleast cloths unlike their abilities can be changed.
Unless you are doing their laundry for them, or paying for it, I doubt it is any of your business. The student is paying for their teaching though, that's the only thing they are therefore accountable for.
now you have come to the point. Accountable. Please stop arguing in circles. Mention the accountable professors apart from above.
I don't give a hoot about GLC or its faculty. I do have a problem with people advocating random standards of academic excellence that have got nothing to do with academics. Such as how people dress.
You have failed to understand what this guy is saying and are hung up on a few words. What is mentioned is specific to GLC and not to general academia. Someone asked him what was β€œbehaving like a professor”. He answered what he thought it is. Even Pithawalla sir is not dressed in suits or designer cloths. But a) he teaches very well and b) he is not shabby. Bharvani ma’am and Ratho ma’am teach well and take care of students’ queries. On top of that these professsors including Pithawalla sir and Daswani sir appear presentable. Now that is not something which can show someone’s legal/ teaching abilities but in case of GLC you do find a correlation of the dressing sense with teaching capabilities. This may be specific to GLC.

For academic standards he just mentioned β€œteach” β€œanswer queries”. Your comment only seems to be aimed to hit the emotional note of cloths. Get past that. Take the comment as a whole. Do not cut paste like you do to your drafts.

I am a student currently in the 4th year. I can relate to a lot of things which have been said. The first step if you seek to debate is to assess the issue at hand i.e. professors other than Pithawalla sir, Daswani sir and a handful of few others.
The other points have been addressed by other people and accepted too. The one that is objectionable has been objected to. For a fourth year, you seem remarkably dense. What you are referring to as correlation is actually a false positive. As for presentability, that's again not anybody else's business other than the teachers themselves. Discussions regarding their academic merit should only be limited to the value that they bring to students, nothing else. The fact that you don't seem to get that to be the point of the objections raised augurs ill for your legal and argumentative acumen.
The latter part of your comment reeks of ranthoneousness. If buttoned shirts matter for someone’s sense of how a professor should dress it is his opinion. For you it does not matter it is your opinion. However, just the way buttoned shirts do not necessarily indicate bad teaching skill, unbottoned shirts also do not indicate good teaching skills. Both have no correlation. All what is said is that apart from teaching, the other professors cannot even dress appropriately, let alone be teaching properly. But I think your know-it-all comments suggest that you have already agreed to that. You work in bakeries have seem to give you a good sense of understanding β€œdense”.
It seems that either your mass keeps increasing or your volume keeps reducing at an exponential rate. Any rational person who reads the comments would realise that nowhere has it been claimed that the poorly dressed teachers necessarily teach well, yet you are all up in arms trying to refute that. As for opinions, yes, bad opinions not based in fact need to be challenged. And the fact that dressing sense of an individual has got no correlation with their teaching skill isn't my opinion, it is a fact. Since there are plenty of extraordinary academics who don't give a damn about how they look. One doesn't have to a know-it-all to figure out your sorry state of logical acumen or lack thereof when you can't distinguish between facts and opinions. Your prejudice is also rather obvious by your own comments by your later comment about dressing. For someone who has not achieved a single remarkable thing in life and not even a lawyer yet, you seem to have a lot of judgement to spare for others. Keep displaying your ignorance and frog-in-a-well mentality. Engaging with you any further isn't going to do anybody any good here. And if you really think all your teachers are incompetent, then it's a sad thing that you have spent four years in that place, and doesn't reflect well on your state of learning either.
Prof. Aswar's classes too are pretty decent and engaging. There has been a addition of 4-5 new professors but adjunct and permanent who are pretty decent and bearable.
Apart from Mr. Pithawalla and Mr. Daswani , you may also consider attending the lectures of Mr. Panjwani. He usually takes lectures on Evidence Law and Interpretation of statues for the final year students. His lectures leave an indelible mark on you. Although the only issue is that his usual alloted timing is from 7AM in the morning, but it's worth the time. All the best.
Pithawala and daswani are the only good ones. Rest are literally time waste.
The faculty is horrible btw. Just as bad as the crowd. Usually, in govt colleges when your peers come through reservation and are largely incompetent, you hope to find comfort in the fact that the professors would be brilliant but they're just as bad as the students. Permanent professors come through reservation as well. There are a couple of very conscientious visiting faculties though.