Read 3 comments as:
Filter By
Is the work culture in foreign law firms as bad as Indian ones? Are the magic circle any better/ worse?
I have a few friends working at Linklaters, London. Their work culture is equally horrible but with lesser pay. Most of the times you will find them billing north of 75 hours a work. If you compare compensation and pay according to PPP after deducting whooping around 40% tax, you will realise that their compensation is significantly lesser than what top tier Indian firms pay.

Also, you have to spend atleast 15-18 years to become a partner in a magic circle firm. That too is not certain whereas in India promotions are swifter.

Plus, there has been a change in regulation in UK. Now, you have to clear a super exam before you can become a soliciter in England and Wales. The exam is expected to take around 20 months of preparation for a non law/ foreign law student.

Vacation schemes and Foreign law firm jobs have ceased to be that attractive for Indian law students. I know atleast 2 students of 2022 batch who have dropped off their vacation scheme offers in favour of Indian law firms.

It makes sense- Why to work for lesser money and bleak future prospects for equally horrible hours?

But, in long term if you make partner at a magic circle law firm you pay will be higher than Indian partners. But, that would require atleast 15 years of greater struggle. Choice is yours!
This does not seem to be much correct. I thought foreign law firms are way too lucrative in terms of pay as well as work culture