Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
The impression one gets of JGLS from forums like Quora and Legally India is that it is a college for wealthy children, straight out of a Karan Johar film. But there will be thousands of middle class children who will be unable to crack CLAT after 2 attempts. Shouldn't JGLS be a natural choice for them? The other choices are JGLS, Symbi, some second-tier private colleges and TLCs. Symbi is kind of decent, but JGLS is much better.

So is it worth taking a loan to go to JGLS in such cases? Or is it be better to go to Symbi/Amity/Christ/TLC etc and save the money for an LLM from abroad?
JGLS isn't worth taking a loan for until their placement stats improve considerably. You need to start paying off that loan right after graduation, for which you'd need a corporate job, which only a fraction of their students get at this stage. Even then paying off 50 lakhs plus interest is going to take you several years. You're better off opting for Symbi, the alumni network of which is the strongest among private law schools, and might help you get a job to pay off the loan quicker. I'm not a JGLS hater or anything, just being pragmatic here. If someone has got the family money to afford JGLS, then they should probably go for it. It is indeed the best of all private law schools at least in India. But the expense isn't worth it for someone taking a loan.
Depends on what you want to do afterward. For no career other than an academic one is an LLM necessary in India. In litigation or law firms, people just don't care. As for the comparison between the two LLBs, someone has mentioned that accurately enough above.
Most of the lower ranked NLUs don't really attract much employers. Campus placements by decent firms only happen in the top few NLUs. The only option available would be to land a PPO.
Rather than going to JGLS with a loan, I'd prefer going to a good College in cities like Delhi, Mumbai or Bangalore. Amity in Delhi, Christ Bangalore etc.
From what I've seen, these cities provide a better opportunity than the lower ranked NLUs
I am from JGLS. I am biased and I do think education at JGLS deserves a premium but one needs to be pragmatic.

I am against loans until it is the only reasonable option. It doesn't matter whether JGLS can provide you with a job or not. The point is loans will tie you down. If you want to build a career in academia or practice human rights advocacy or maybe skip law as a profession altogether post 5 years of law school (this is a real phenomenon, irrespective of what law school you attend), you will not be able to do so because of the loans. You might think that you want to work at a law firm for now because you haven't experienced it first hand but it is not meant for everyone.

The only time JGLS makes sense worth taking a loan is if the idea is to settle outside India, specifically the US or Australia where JGLS has good tie-ups for an integrated LLB/JD program that enables you to practice law both in India and US/Australia saving a couple of years and if you are good enough, scholarships are on the tables as well. Tuition is so expensive outside India that doing these integrated programs at JGLS is cheaper than doing a degree at any other law school in India followed by a JD.

Please think about your choices carefully. My friend had chosen IIM Indore (16 lakh) over FMS Delhi (20,000). He graduated this year and got placed at a major MNC but there isn't a single day he doesn't regret his decision.
The preference ranking should be:

- NLUs
- Symbi Pune
- GLC
- GGSIP
- Other Symbis/KIIT/Christ
- Nirma
- JGLS
- Bennett
- Munjal
- UPES
- Amity Noida
- Other Amitys
- TLCs
I think your preference list will misguide.

If fee is not an issue, jgls should come after 3-4 NLUs.

The new NLUs like one in Jabalpur or sonipat are useless and waste of money.

Bennett, munjal, amity, galgotia are similar and not preferred by anybody.