Read 52 comments as:
Filter By
Quote:
Police have begun an investigation into Vyapam-led admissions to National Law Institute University (NLIU), Bhopal ... Under scanner are students from some highly influential families...
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bhopal/bhopal-cops-start-probe-into-vyapams-law-varsity-admissions/articleshow/80694139.cms
This makes me wonder if seats for admission been sold for money at any of the NLUs? Even with CLAT score, can there be corruption in allocation? What about quota seats?
This was the case in most national law schools prior to CLAT. Post-CLAT, most law schools have some donation seats like NRI quota etc.
This is a bare-faced lie. The reserved seats that you speak of are also filled through CLAT, only the students who finally get selected pay a higher fees. I challenge you to name a single case where student with a lower rank got through whereas eligible students with higher rank did not. For any NLU. Do not spew garbage in the guise of anonymity.
No, not true. The Foreign National seats are not filled via CLAT. They are filled by marks secured in +2 exams.

I am not sure about NRI as my institution does not have that reservation.
I never stated that I have any reason to believe that the process on enrolling FN is rigged. I merely stated the fact of the admission process.
That was not me. You need to learn how to reply to 3 (you would then be 3.2) and not 3.1.1 (you were 3.1.1.1).
And you need to distinguish yourself from 3 if you are using the guest moniker and responding in the same line in the same comment follow up.
You use the same moniker as I do - guest! How did you distinguish between yourself and me!

Grow up. Galti ho gayi toe maan lo. Itni kya ego.
Maybe you should start by admitting your own error first before asking others to do so. The original comment 3 was referring to NRI seats. 3.1 was a response to that. You tried to counter 3.1 by referring to FN seats. That seems like a mistake.
p.s. I am commenting here for the first time.
NRI quota seats at NALSAR at least are not filled based on CLAT rank. They are based on 12th board marks. Not sure where you're getting your information from.
There is no NRI quota at NALSAR. It has Foreign National seats. The two are distinct categories. Many NLUs have one or the other, sometimes both.

Foreign National seats at NALSAR are filled via +2 results. I have mentioned the same in comment #3.1.1.
Even if foreign national seats in NALSAR are filled on the basis of plus two results, has there ever been any complaint that a person having secured less marks has been chosen over one with more marks? Because otherwise this is just witch hunting.
There has never been any clear definition/ distinction between 'foreign national' at NALSAR vis-a-vis NRI/NRI Sponsored. I have seen people who are NRIs that came in through foreign national seats. Hence, I used the terms inter-changeably because that's what I've seen happen at NALSAR.
People of Indian origin can have citizenship of other countries. Only then are they qualified to get through the foreign national seats. Looking at a person from Indian origin who stays abroad and automatically assuming that they are NRIs is a bad presumption.
Bhai, the distinction is clear as per the laws of the land. Ek ke paas foreign passport hota hai, and doosre ke paas nahin. Nalsar doesn't need to create the 'clear definition/distinction'. Give name and batch of anyone admitted under FN who you know for a fact does not hold a foreign passport.
What rubbish! If you can't differentiate between NRI seats and foreign nationals seats, then you should go back to school, let alone law school.
In an extremely corrupt setup which India is, it should not be hard to digest the fact that some people could pay their way into top institutions, many such incidents must have happened in other institutions which were not on the radar of RTI activists(this NLIU thing was also brought to light by an RTI activist). And yes, admissions to NLUs do happen without CLAT marks as the main criteria, there are categories like sports quota in GNLU and NRI quota in many other colleges where CLAT is just a formality and sometimes not even required and admission is discretionary.
So basically, all you have got to support your allegation is the 'fact' that India is a corrupt country. Not a single formal complaint or litigation in 12 years of CLAT. That's some fine legal education you have been getting. Do you too happen to be one of those who paid their way into law school?
Admissions in sports quota GNLU also requires clat marks. There are only 2 seats in sports quota and that too require you to be extraordinary good in sports. Their merit rank also does not drop that much, last year students with 600-800 CLAT ranks were selected. There is nothing wrong in that, there is a clear knock sports competition that takes place for students with nearby ranks and the best one is admitted. You have to be extraordinary good in sports plus must carry a good clat rank as well.
And if you want it, there you go-
1)If you open the brochure of NUJS for CLAT 2021, you’ll observe that in the seat distribution, there are 2 supernumerary seats for foreign nationals which are allocated directly by the university.
2) The brochure of NLIU Bhopal says β€œIn addition to the above seats, five seats are earmarked for Foreign National Candidates for direct admission without appearing in the CLAT examination”.
3) The brochure of Nalsar says β€œ24 (twenty four) Seats are allocated to Foreign Nationals for the B.A., LL.B. (Hons.) course out of which 4 (four) seats are for candidates from SAARC Countries and 10 (ten) seats for
candidates from non-SAARC Countries and 10 (ten) seats for ICCR / Government of India
nominees. Foreign Nationals, need not take CLAT-2021 and should apply directly to NALSAR."
4)GNLU brochure says "Candidates seeking admission under the Foreign National category are not required to appear in the CLAT and shall apply directly to the University. Interested candidates are required to refer the GNLU Website for further more details".

And I can go on to list all the NLUs with a few exceptions and I didn't make this up. You can go to https://consortiumofnlus.ac.in/clat-2021/participating_universities.html and see for yourself that these university have this backdoor entry scheme still going on.
Again, there is a process clearly in place for these seats too, and in all these years, not a single complaint has been received about the transparency, or anybody with locus claiming that they have been overlooked in favour of others less eligible. So your allegations and comments only indicate that you have some form of ulterior agenda. For actual whistleblowing, people need a prima facie case, even if circumstantial only.
I never said that scam is definitely happening, I just said that the setup in which we are, there are high chances that something like this can happen and might have happened in the past. It just should not that hard to digest. You have an example here only on this article. I just don’t get why people get triggered on simple statements as if their life’s on the line. Nobody can stand on a stage and say with 100% certainty that admission to NLUs is a completely fair, just and transparent process. Look at it like that. If you feel that what I’m saying is totally wrong, you have the right to your opinion and so do I.
Actually, if your opinion has got not a shred to evidence to support it, then it is not worth airing.
You can’t just go around saying that everyone who doesn’t conform to your view is incorrect. First you said that CLAT is mandatory for FN seats and then I’ve fixed the brochures to your face so you changed your song, now someone will give some other piece of information and then you’ll say that it is also wrong just because you believe that it’s wrong. You have to first clear your position and stop behaving like teenagers and then we’ll talk. C’mon, all I said was that you can expect these things to happen in our country and you are in complete denial and maintain that NLUs are super transparent, different from the entire country. How hard can it be to just say politely that you don’t agree with what you just read?
Actually, nobody said that CLAT was mandatory for FN seats. People said earlier that it was mandatory for NRI seats. Not their fault that you equated the two. Moreover, there is still no evidence at all to support your opinion that because plus two results are considered for FN admission, that makes the process automatically suspect and that some underhanded deal must be going on. Even sensible teenagers know better than to throw allegations at random like the way you have been doing without any proof or locus.
Quote:
And yes, admissions to NLUs do happen without CLAT marks as the main criteria, there are categories like sports quota in GNLU and NRI quota in many other colleges where CLAT is just a formality and sometimes not even required and admission is discretionary.
This is huge scam, if true. Possibly crores of rupees may have been paid under the table to certain people. LI should investigate.
Completely hogwash. The guy is just throwing random allegations without a shred of proof.
How is this a scam? It would be if it was happening discreetly. The sports quota allocation happens in a publicised manner, open to all. By that logic literally every NLU is corrupt then?
Anyone who has befriended those who come in through the NRI Sponsored seats knows the scam (should I call it jugaad) they pull. The seat requires you to be related closely to an NRI who agrees to sponsor your education in $$$. I personally know two people who certainly did not meet this criteria and got the sponsorship criteria met from unrelated parties. But hey, if my dad had that kind of cash lying around, I’d be chilling in a top 4 NLU with a rank upwards of 2500 too.
So, basically it is class envy that is promoting people to allege corruption here without basis. Good that you made that clear.
Way to state the obvious my friend. Yes it’s pure class envy on my part. I am quite jealous of my fellow #richkidsofnlus who get the tag of top NLUs on their cvs and claim the benefits that come with it while having secured a rank that’s double-triple my own. Β―_(ツ)_/Β―
You are the one who made it evident in your last sentence of comment 7.
I am amazed how much credence young lawyers are giving to CLAT as a merit measure. In the middle ranks, 5 marks are almost 900 ranks, do you really believe that a guy/gal who could solve 5 more paragraph GK questions has so much more merit as to lose top 7 colleges altogether? On the other hand, you might be aware that in 2020 at least 9 NRI candidates were in the Top 100.

I would suggest that please question the elitist CLAT exam where only English speaking elite qualify before questioning on NRI seats as if that is the biggest issue. My drivers daughter can hope to qualify top IIT with effort, but given her hindi medium education and general category status, i am not sure whether and if how many years she will take to qualify a top 7 NLU - i am at a loss to guide her much and coaching starts only at a certain level - but she can do great maths.

Please read up other reports where NRI candidates have scored as much /more than general category. Its the Foreign Nationals who score poor and that is the same at the IITs as well. Even in Medicine, NRI candidates enter Kasturba Medical College at 60,000 NEET rank, Vs. 20,000 for general but most perform as good or as bad with as large as a 40,000 rank difference.

Like the IAS, getting a good CLAT rank seems to give the person a sense of entitlement for Life. But the ranking is so fragile - I would guess at least 80% of the top 500 qualifiers will not be able to repeat their performance. I have friends at SRCC Delhi who got 100% in tenth but even they are not comfortable stating that they would be able to repeat the marks they received. SIr/ma'am, 3-5 marks dude in a a Scholastic aptitude test, come to think of it and i can sit on that Rank for life (or till the time you do anything worthwhile in life - when you stop commenting on boards like these)

Good luck to all and god bless
NLIU must be suspended from CLAT and NIRF rankings until the probe is complete. In case of wrongdoing, NLU status must be taken away for 5 years and DNLU Jabalpur must be designated as the sole NLU from MP during that period.
NLIU has been in general decline for a while. Losing out very quickly to GNLU etc
This is the only thing you can come up with if gnlu stats are worse than nliu. 2 in a batch doesn't affect an entire crowd.
NRI SEATS IN CLAT ARE ALLOTED BASED ON CLAT MERIT AND TO GET INTO NUJS OR NLUJ,CLAT RANK SHOULD BE UNDER 1000
There is no scam in the NRI/NRI Sponsored seats. There is a process. All NLUs outside of Bangalore and Hyderabad have NRI/NRI sponsored quotas (roughly between 16-20 seats). When one fills up the CLAT admission form, one needs to check on NRI/NRI Sponsored box. Once the results are out, in addition to the general rank, one gets an NRI Sponsored Rank as well as an NRI Rank. There are far more NRI sponsored applicants than NRI applicants. NUJS, NLU Jodhpur, NLIU and some others give preference to NRI sponsored rank, whereas MNLU Mumbai and RNLU Patiala give preference to the NRI rank. The admissions for NRI Sponsored seats largely follow and mimic the selections for the General category, with the top NRI Sponsored rankers choosing NUJS followed by NLU Jodhpur and NLIU Bhopal. GNLU goes further down the list primarily due to the fact that their NRI/NRI Sponsored fees are probably the highest among all law schools in India (private or otherwise - approximately 11 lakhs a year after hostel and other expenses)

To prove that you are an NRI or NRI sponsored also requires a fair amount of documentation, which needs to be procured in a fairly short period of time. If you are an NRI, your passport and visa needs to be attested by the embassy in the country you are in, along with a fairly detailed affidavit which also needs embassy approval. For NRI Sponsored candidates, its even more complicated, as a first degree relationship has to be proven between the candidate and the sponsor.

In short, yes, it is a sort of "management quota" where the fees are 3 times the fees that you will typically pay. But the admission is streamlined and is based on your CLAT NRI/NRI Sponsored Rank.
Can anyone tell me what the NRI cut-offs were for NLU Jodhpur, GNLU Gandhinagar and NLIU Bhopal in CLAT 2021 and 2020? Please!
Beyond all the talk of NRI, FN seats and alleged corruption, can someone please take note of the following:

1. State testing agencies (including outsourced to external parties) make a ton of money annually. Follow the money trails. Scams will continue. Coaching centres will mushroom. And the band will play on.

2. Specifically on NLIU, despite media attention and a stinging inquiry report by an ex-HC judge, that Inquiry Report was never made public. Did anyone RTI? Did anyone bother getting the report out? TOI journos could access it. But NLIU's EC and GC members as advised by its "star" VC found that it is best to bury the report and let the corrupt continue or leave as per their individual convenience.

3. NLIU alumni and students could care less. After all there was complicity at multiple levels. And how do you protest against a "star" VC.

4. This new investigation etc will not go anywhere. Sure there will some motivated investigations, palms greased, collateral damage and some fall guys identified if things really heat up. But that's the max. Very soon, it will be all business as usual.
Does anyone know why NLIU is unable to declare Semester results even after 7 months. (I am talking of today, not 2015)

This is ample evidence that nothing has really changed in NLIU since 2018

In most tier 1 colleges, even govt ones, the results are published in a week.

Private institutes have quizzes and scram tests every now and then

Are the NLIU professors fat cats, or does the institute or the sleeping VC need a sounding from the Chief Ministers office?

And by the way, the NLIU web site was changed a couple of months ago
I now rate NLIU website 3/10 while GNLU continues to be 9/10

I'm sure the administration must be giving shabaashi all the way up to the VC every day on the new website
A 13-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.