Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
These two law schools were once very well regarded and NLIU in particular had very good placements. But in the past few years they have really slipped . Soon everyone will choose NLUJ, GNLU, MNLU and Jindal over them (if it hasn't happened already). What's the reason? Bad VC and admin? Political interference? Bad faculty? Student quality hurt by domicile reservation? Student indiscipline? Lack of infrastructure in Bhopal and Raipur?
Can only speak for HNLU which suffered for years under an incompetent VC aided by an even more incompetent admin. I strongly despise this notion of β€˜domicile reservation hurting student quality’ which reeks of elitism. Frankly your rank in that entrance exam doesn’t depend solely on your individual merit but the opportunities your economic and social situation affords you. I have seen batchmates who have come through the domicile quotas perform on par with if not better than those from the general category.

The students are what make an institute and not professors who tend to be largely mediocre across NLUs barring few exceptions. The student body of hnlu is pretty strong and has led a successful student protest in the recent past which led to the corrupt old vc being replaced by VCV. HNLU’s tier one corp placements have improved steadily over the years (You may check batch 2021’s placements when they are released to confirm). We have alumni who have started getting promoted into the partnership ranks at firms across India.

Yes there is a locational disadvantage compared to say NLU Delhi but it’s no different than say NLUJ or GNLU.

In any case, kids who go to hnlu with ambition and drive do and have succeeded because hnlu has everything that will aid you for your career ahead. There’s just no spoon feeding happening there and you have to grab your opportunities out of your own initiative I guess Β―_(ツ)_/Β―
Linkedin while not all telling will tell you how many domicile students and others from HNLU are now successful entrepreneurs (hint Pranjal Kamra from Finology, and Garima Mitra from Tree Life consulting and many others.) Domicile kids from both these universities have repeatedly got corporate placements at top tier law firms like Khaitan, CAM, AZB, SAM, Indus etc (sometimes even more than AIR students every year - FACTS not fiction).

Overall there is no trouble in paradise. Both Universities are only doing better by the day. The new VC atleast at HNLU is much more devoted and the alumni team is only getting stronger by the day. There are top tier internships and many many selections in judicial examinations too!
He’s doing something at least. That is more than enough considering who we had as the VC in the past. The bar was too low to begin with.
Many things actually. Alumni outreach, infrastructural improvements, new faculty hires can be included in his major contributions.
Since the classes are online I don't have full details. But I heard that faculty are being recruited, the full-time registrar is joining, the library is getting new books and journals, maintenance and repair of the hostels, classrooms, etc are happening in a big way.
Any update about any reputed person having been recruited as part of these new hires?
No one picks MNLU or Jindal over NLIU and HNLU. Don't spread nonsense. No one picks a private or upcoming college over established reputed ones
Looking at how many people agree with you actually confuses me. I don't want to reveal too much, but I got a pretty high rank last year, and ranked choices make things different but I easily got into < top 5. I thought with the 3rd merit lists I'd be able to get into top 5 but didn't, so I actually went to Jindal without even considering HNLU/NLIU
I think besides brand value (which isn't that for the two, from the people at my prep-centre/ lawyers I talked two) Jindal seemed a far better option in all other the parameters (infra, teaching, college life - like support for moots/societies). I'd say if you are in a position where you could comfortably go to Jindal, I'd rank it just below the top 5.

There's the undeniable reputation of it being a "party school" but if you actually care about the degree, I think Jindal does have a lot of really good facilities/teachers/opportunities you get access to, and imo a pretty significant section of the class that is hard-working/care about the classes/degree who you can stick with.

Why consider HNLU/NLIU besides the two advantages of (i)NLU tag (which is slightly lower than say, the top 5) and (ii) the financial aspect?
After spending 30 to 40 lakhs you will be just one out of more than 1000 people graduating in a year from JGLS. if 50 out of these 1000 are placed well, the PR machinery of Jindal would just highlight them at the cost of 950 others
In the really long run, let's say 25-30 years, the NLUs which are located in prime locations would outshine the ones in remote places. It's inevitable and based on socio-economic factors. The best students and faculty would always prefer to be in cities (especially for faculty as it would provide opportunities for their spouse, better kids for schools, etc.) Nobody (especially the ones with families), given an option, would like to spend years and years in places like Bhopal, Raipur, Patiala, Jodhpur, etc.
Actually, by that logic, NLU Mumbai should have been full of stellar faculty by now. It is not. Location is only one of several factors that academics take into account. An entry level academic salary would hardly support even a decent 2 BHK apartment in Mumbai for example. Whereas it would get you very good options in some other cities. It's not one-dimensional.
What are you smoking dude? NLIU have one of the highest number of alumni in law firms including top tier law firms and number of partners as well. Many alumni have set up their own law firms which are a match and work against top tier law firms. Please check about Ikigai law. Every year NLIU placements are much better than many other NLU placements including NLUJ or jgls. If NLIU places 30 out of 50 in top firms and jgls places 50 out of 200 in such firms, which college is better?
Ikigai Law is a match for which top tier firm exactly? L&L after MS leaves and RKL re(tires)?
As for the last question, there's no doubt that JGLS is the better university. Just that it is not affordable for everyone.