•  •  Dark Mode

Your Interests & Preferences

I am a...

law firm lawyer
in-house company lawyer
litigation lawyer
law student
aspiring student

Website Look & Feel

 •  •  Dark Mode
Blog Layout

Save preferences

2012 AOR exam pass rate drops to 14%

AOR exam: Difficulty rising or standards slipping?
AOR exam: Difficulty rising or standards slipping?
Only 66 candidates out of approximately 466 candidates enrolled to take the Supreme Court’s Advocates on Record (AoR) exam in June 2012 have passed, according to a notification posted on the Supreme Court’s website.

Last year’s pass percentage was roughly 18 per cent – or 77 passes out of around 400 candidates.

According to legal website Bar & Bench, the two highest marks were achieved by Priyanjali Singh and Neha Sharma respectively.

A total of 67 candidates may retake one or more papers in the next exam. Up to five retakes are allowed for advocates, unless they failed every paper.

This year’s exam pattern was changed by the Supreme Court in April 2012, removing the section examining accounts and making other changes.

Legally India reported the full rules last year:

Advocates can retake only one paper that they failed under regulation 11(i) if they fail that paper with a grade above 40 per cent and pass all remaining papers with 60 per cent of total aggregate marks.

Under regulation 11(ii), those getting less than 60 per cent in aggregate without failing any single paper can also resit one papers where they scored less than 60 per cent to raise their score to the pass-level…

Only AORs may file cases and may plead or instruct others to plead before the Supreme Court, including senior counsel.

No comments yet: share your views