J Sagar Associates (JSA) partner Amit Kapur was elected senior partner-to-be by JSA’s equity partners at a meeting in Chennai today.
He will take over on 1 April 2017 from outgoing senior partner Berjis Desai, who is retiring on schedule on 31 March 2017.
Kapur is the highest biller in the firm, specialising in the projects and regulatory space with a team of four other equity partners.
He chairs JSA’s regulatory and policy practice and had been a JSA partner since 2000, having headed up its infrastructure practice since 1997.
He and his team specialise on projects and regulatory work relating to infrastructure, while Kapur, in particular, has developed a profitable niche of representing clients in regulatory disputes, with an estimated Rs 40 crore per year practice last year.
The elevation of Kapur to senior partner will be a major boon for JSA’s partnership, which has reeled and been in need of stability ever since Mumbai partner Akshay Chudasama and his team of four partners decamped to Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas in late 2015 and securities star Somasekhar Sundaresan announced that he would go independent in March 2016.
All that happened against a background of the firm’s founder and namesake Jyoti Sagar having officially retired in 2013, with senior partner Berjis Desai (a nearly de facto JSA co-founder, who had set up its Mumbai office) due to retire by 2017.
In 2015 Kapur had been in the running for managing partner against six others, in what is probably India’s only fully democratic management election at an Indian law firm.
The managing partner posts eventually by September 2015 went to Dina Wadia and Shivpriya Nanda jointly as co-managing partners, by internal consensus.
We have reached out to Kapur and other JSA partners for comment.
This breaking news story (as well as the excitement and speculation in the run-up to this development) was first reported to our paid-for subscribers. Please subscribe below to get to hear about the most important industry developments before anyone else.
Do you like what we do?
Are we your favourite source of legal industry news, gossip & exposés of the powerful and/or murky? Would you like more exclusive insight, context and perks?
You can support our work for the cost of a cup of coffee (find out more here).
Instant access and privacy guaranteed as always!
- Weekly insider newsletter Exclusive analysis, intelligence & more from LI editor. This is full of insider information, commentary and, of course, a healthy dose of gossip that's not quite safe enough for print... (see some previous samples here for an approximate flavour of what it'll be like).
- Badge in comments
Have the option to differentiate your contribution to LI from the masses with an LI Subscriber badge next to your comment (the anonymity of your comments, of course, continues to be guaranteed).
- Legally Social membership Get on the exclusive guestlist of our fun & popular parties. We'll host at least 1 event per year in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore, to begin with, and will hopefully eventually move to a quarterly Legally Social schedule in those three cities and beyond.
- Shape agendas & LI's future You'll be part of the trusted Legally India inner circle, and we'll more strongly consider your (anonymous) suggestions and leads. You'll also be able to exclusively take part in very quick surveys on the website, the results of which will become articles and talking points in the profession.
- Ad free website Faster & cleaner, zero ads.
- Instant-loading articles Time is money, so make Legally India even speedier: articles now open in milliseconds from the frontpage and you can absorb the day's top stories faster than ever before.
- Exclusive extras We've already begun improving the design of Legally India for our Partner Subscribers so that the site is cleaner, with fewer distractions. Our Partner Subscribers will also be the first (and often the only ones) to get new features and designs that will make LI more user-friendly. For instance, we're working on a bookmarking feature so you can track the hottest stories, instant notifications of breaking news, and much more! Plus, as one of our premium partners, we'll take your suggestions and feature requests very much to heart.
- Money-back guarantee If you change your mind about your subscription in the first two weeks or so, we'll issue you with a full refund, no questions asked (other than, perhaps, how we can improve).
- Support legal journalism Reader support is the future of online news. Every subscription helps keep legal journalism independent and free from the influence of the rich and powerful, as is the case with so many other legal publications. Plus, it will result in more and better articles.
- Rs 199 / month
- Rs 499 / month
- Rs 899 / month