Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discussions related to the Indian Bar, Bench, litigation and advocacy.
Share this: Facebook Twitter Google Email

Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent

Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 3 years 2 months ago #1

0Log in or create a free account to participate and promote this post up the page...
Please follow the link to the article in Deccan Herald about the judgement passed by the Karnataka High Court yesterday. Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without the consent of their parents, says the HC.

www.deccanherald.com/content/160931/girl...ust-get-parents.html

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 3 years 2 months ago #2

• LI ed
  • kianganz
  • Administrator
  • NOW ONLINE
  0Log in or create a free account to participate and promote this post up the page...
Wow, is there any way that the Supreme Court can not get involved in this, irrespective of whether the boy's behaviour was allegedly immoral?

If the report is accurate, what is the age of minority in India? Is there any law that allows parents to exercise control over offspring when they are over 18?
--
Kian Ganz, Publishing editor, LegallyIndia.com

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 3 years 2 months ago #3

You are allowed to vote, drink, drive, pay taxes,work, enter into contracts at 18 but not get married according to the Karnataka HC. I want to read the judgement to actually see the ratio behind it. On the face of it, it makes no sense. They have surpassed their jurisdiction in prescribing the age limit. The reasoning seems weakas of now. The new channels and the news papers have reported that a guy who marries a girl below the age of 21 years is liable to be prosecuted if the consent of her parents has not been obtained.

I hope the SC looks into it.

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 3 years 2 months ago #4

Insanity is the only plea under which parents can exercise control over the offspring beyond the age of majority. I am not sure of any other situation.

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 3 years 2 months ago #5

• adoksh
  • Legally Experienced
I can't believe the Bench said
" Why did you go to Tamil Nadu? To see tsunami? This kind of people should be hanged.” "

This seems to be a personal judgement rather than a legal one!

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 3 years 2 months ago #6

• ctn
i m the lordship i can say anything without accountability. one should also ask his/her parents whom to cast vote in election. if they violate parents whip, they should be disqualified from the family and be prosecuted. pity over some learned judges reducing the dignity and honour of court.

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 3 years 2 months ago #7

• Firoz
does this mean a girl under 21 years of age can runaway and get married to her boyfriend in any state of India except Karnataka ??

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 3 years 2 months ago #8

I certainly hope so :P

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 3 years 2 months ago #9

• Firoz
does this mean a girl under 21 years of age can runaway and get married to her boyfriend in any state of India except Karnataka ?? Pls answer

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 years 10 months ago #10

• Amudhan
This is a verdict against human rights and human feelings. The justice who gave this judgement is highly biased in favor of parents getting their sons or daughters married with people whom they don,t like. This silly judgement must be scrapped

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 years 7 months ago #11

• Anonymous
even i want to get an answer fr the same questio plz do reply if anyone knowz..........this rule is really a nonsenz......

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 years 7 months ago #12

• Anonymous
Anonymous wrote:
even i want to get an answer fr the same questio plz do reply if anyone knowz..........this rule is really a nonsenz......

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 years 7 months ago #13

It is a gender inequality judgement. If law fix 21 for men and 18 for women, then who are this super judicial forces to stop the privilege given by law. Is the same measurement applies to men.

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 years 7 months ago #14

I feel the Judgment of Karnataka High Court is not read properly by the media. its not a law laid down... It appears only as a Obiter Dicta. strange and unwarranted remarks passed while disposing a writ of Habeas corpus.

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 years 6 months ago #15

its mere misuse of power ....law and values are totally different where in this case values have been given more importance rather than law.... as far as I believe law tells that legal age for marriage is 18 with respect to girls but it never did mention it is only with consent of the parents .....it will be very bad precedent for lower courts if this is not overruled soon....

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 years 6 months ago #16

Its very surprising and painful to see the Judiciary getting involved into this kind of an incident where two consenting adults married each other as per their respective personal laws. HARD TO BELIEVE. :silly:

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 years 1 month ago #17

• Anonymous
I am really shocked to hear such a judgement of Karnataka HC. If this is the case then violation rate & Death rate of Lovers will exceed. 18 Yrs for girls and 21 Yrs for Boys was a perfect law. 21 yrs for Girls really doesnt make any sense.

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 years 2 weeks ago #18

• Eapen
As of now, the law that sets age for marriage as 21 years (for men) and 18 (for women) is discriminatory and foolish.
What if an 18-yr old woman wishes to marry her 18-yr old lover? Should see wait for another three years?
An 18 year old woman can marry only a man who is 3 years older to her! This crazy law thus not only determines the lower limit of marriageable age. It also determines the age gap between a husband and wife in the case of women who wish to marry before the age of 21 years. The law is an ass.
And now comes another crazy regulation from a court! Are people in Karnataka scared that their daughters younger than 21 will elope with someone? Well, now they will elope with someone outside Karnataka.

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 years 1 week ago #19

• Ami Kataria
d_mysoor wrote:
You are allowed to vote, drink, drive, pay taxes,work, enter into contracts at 18 but not get married according to the Karnataka HC. I want to read the judgement to actually see the ratio behind it. On the face of it, it makes no sense. They have surpassed their jurisdiction in prescribing the age limit. The reasoning seems weakas of now. The new channels and the news papers have reported that a guy who marries a girl below the age of 21 years is liable to be prosecuted if the consent of her parents has not been obtained.

I hope the SC looks into it.

Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 9 months 2 weeks ago #20

• Iniyan
This judgment by the Karnataka High Court is illegal and anti-constitutional. The legal age of majority and marriage for women in India is 18. A woman is free to marry whom ever she wants to marry at or after the age of 18 in India. The judges should have been caste bigoted misogynists who cannot stomach the idea of a woman choosing her own sexual and marital partner based on her own desire and wish. The judges behavior was criminal and anti-constitutional. The judges overstepped the law and committed a crime against the constitution and the law when they ordered the police to file a criminal case of of kidnapping against the husband who married the girl aged 18 out of her free will and consent. It is these judges who need to be hanged for flouting the law and the constitution, and NOT the husband who respected the law by marrying a girl of marriageable age based on her consent.

Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 9 months 2 weeks ago #21

• SKumar B
We are living under a constitutional democracy which can survive if we maintain dignity and decency in all spheres of public discourses.When one wishes to criticize a judicial decision, one should be very careful that while disagreeing with a decision he/she does not over step the limits of etiquettes,manners & decorum.A disciplined and well mannered criticism carries more weight to continue a meaningful dialogue than instances of mud slinging.

Re: Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 months 2 weeks ago #22

• Sandeep Gowda
yes sir you are right.

Karnataka HC-Girls below 21 years of age cannot get married without parent's consent 2 months 2 weeks ago #23

• Sandeep Gowda
your words are superb and meaningful. I like it

Latest comments