- Details Fri, 28 Aug '15, 18:25 Written by IANS
- Details Fri, 28 Aug '15, 17:49 Written by Kian Ganz
The government’s Press Information Bureau (PIB) has issued a press release that this morning’s Indian Express story, incorrectly reported that the Law Commission had recommended in its draft report that the death penalty be abolished for anything other than terrorisim offences.
- Details Fri, 28 Aug '15, 15:49 Written by Kian Ganz
Saikrishna & Associates managing partner Saikrishna Rajagopal won an order from the Delhi high court, modifying its earlier trademark injunction against German auto maker Audi from using the “TT” trademark, which was also used by Delhi-based garment maker TT Textiles.
- Details Fri, 28 Aug '15, 15:33 Written by Kian Ganz
Mumbai private equity boutique ARA Law has promoted two principal associates, Rowena De Sousa and Avik Karmakar, to salaried partner level.
- Details Fri, 28 Aug '15, 10:16 Written by Kian Ganz
Gammon India has sold nine Indian project companies of Gammon Infrastructure Projects to a subsidiary of US asset management giant Brookfield Asset Management for around Rs 563 crore.
- Details Fri, 28 Aug '15, 09:30 Written by SCOI Report
Arguments in the Kerala liquor case Kerala Bar Hotels Association vs State of Kerala came to an end yesterday (August 27) at 12:30 pm after the bench comprising justices Vikramajit Sen and Shiva Kirti Singh heard as many as five counsel and reserved their judgment, while asking them to give the court written submissions, if any, during next week.
- Details Thu, 27 Aug '15, 18:27 Written by IANS
A court here on Thursday held four December 16, 2012 gang rape convicts guilty in a robbery case that took place on the same night.
Additional Sessions Judge Reetesh Singh convicted them in the robbery case and posted the matter for September 2 for arguments on quantum of sentence.
The four gang rape convicts -- Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur, Mukesh and Pawan Gupta -- are being tried for allegedly beating up and robbing carpenter Ram Adhar, before raping and assaulting a 23-year-old physiotherapist in a moving bus here December 16, 2012.
They have been sentenced to death in the rape case by a trial court, which was confirmed by the Delhi high court. The matter is now pending in the Supreme Court.
- Details Thu, 27 Aug '15, 18:22 Written by SCOI Reports
Today (27 August) on the second day of the hearing in the Supreme Court, the bench comprising justices Dipak Misra and Prafulla C Pant asked counsel representing the Gujarat Government and the respondent, Islamic Relief Committee Gujarat (IRCG), to come up with answers for two questions, during the next hearing on September 23.
- Details Thu, 27 Aug '15, 18:11 Written by Legally India
District and Sessions Judge, Bilaspur, Mahadev Katulkar was allegedly threatened to deliver a verdict in favour of a man in a divorce case, prompting the police to step-up his security...
“As per the complaint, the judge received an SMS from an unknown number threatening him to deliver verdict in favour the man involved in a divorce case,” Inspector General of Police, Bilaspur Range, Pawan Deo said.
- Details Thu, 27 Aug '15, 17:51 Written by Prachi Shrivastava
Former Clifford Chance foreign legal consultant Pranav Mago is now heading the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) South Asia. Mago took over the role on 17 August from Scheherazade Dubash.
- Details Thu, 27 Aug '15, 17:23 Written by Harleen Kaur
- Details Thu, 27 Aug '15, 06:18 Written by Kian Ganz
A wide variance exists between how a case progresses through various high courts (HCs), according to a study by Bengaluru-based non-governmental organization (NGO) Daksh aimed at understanding how delays take place in the judicial system and how they affect the delivery of justice.
- Details Thu, 27 Aug '15, 05:58 Written by IANS
The Supreme Court on Wednesday stayed the Gauhati High Court order directing a CBI probe against Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki for alleged corruption in awarding state contracts to his family members.
An apex court bench headed by Chief Justice HL Dattu also issued notice to the Arunachal government and the private party on whose PIL the high court had directed the Central Bureau of Investigation probe.
The court’s order came as senior counsel Harish Salve, appearing for Tuki, sought to question the high court’s August 20 order.
It has been alleged that Tuki awarded contracts without inviting tenders when he was the minister for works.
- Details Thu, 27 Aug '15, 05:39 Written by IANS
- Details Thu, 27 Aug '15, 05:15 Written by SCOI Reports
Court No 4 witnessed interesting arguments concerning the scope of India’s secularism before justices Dipak Misra and Prafulla C Pant, in the case of The State of Gujarat and others vs Islamic Relief Committee, Gujarat (IRCG) and another.
- Cabinet clears amendments to fix Indian arbitration (yet no sign of foreign lawyer ordinance)
- 2 of these 7 will be next JSA managing partners: Three new faces elected into ex-com
- Soli Sorabjee for Italian marines: Indian SC adjourns case after sea tribunal stay
- How SILF feels about liberalisation: Not happy but more or less ready for entry, wants Singapore model
- SCOI Report: 4 lawyers argue & laugh about Kerala liquor ban as Sibal closes for 4 hours, petitioners begin
- 5 months after end of moratorium, cop killer hanged in Pakistan
- Salman Khan Bombay lawyer Amit Desai: Documents missing in paper-book
- In SC, NALSA wants gov't to widen definition of sexual exploitation
- Law students
- Legally Wired
- Law firms
- Legal opinions
- Careers Counsel
- Legal Process Outsourcing (LPO)
- Bar, Bench & Litigation
- In-house counsel
- Social lawyers
- Legal Pulse