- Details Fri, 27 Mar '15, 19:30 Written by Kian Ganz
Vandana Pai Bharucha, former Amarchand Mangaldas Mumbai corporate partner who left in July 2014 reportedly for health reasons, will join Bharucha & Partners as a partner.
- Details Fri, 27 Mar '15, 19:14 Written by Bapu Deedwania & Kian Ganz
The Amarchand Mangaldas Delhi-region partnership, led by Shardul Shroff who is in the final stages of a separation with the half of the firm led by his brother Cyril from Mumbai since November 2014, on Tuesday for the first time announced internally that the firm was likely to split, subject to the outcome of the still ongoing mediation between the brothers that is set to conclude at the end of this month.
- Details Thu, 26 Mar '15, 09:15 Written by Legally India
The global chartered accountancy (CA) firms dwarf even global law firms in revenue and have increasingly been getting into legal services, with PwC’s legal arm now having a headcount of lawyers equivalent to the world’s tenth-largest firm already generating $500m per year from law, reports the Economist:
Those most at risk from the attack of the bean-counters are the profusion of mid-tier legal firms in liberalised markets. Since their profit margins are already low, they cannot afford even a modest loss of market share. Unfortunately for them, much of their business is high-volume, repetitive tasks—just the sort of work that the Big Four excel at standardising and automating.
In India, CA firms have been making inroads into legal too, with Ernst & Young (E&Y) having arguably been the most visible via its close alliance with aggressively growing start-up PDS Legal. Even domestic CA firms such as Mohinder Puri & Co have made forays into legal best friendships, having hired former Amarchand Mangaldas tax head Aseem Chawla in 2012.
The Society of Indian Law Firms (Silf) and the Bar Council of India (BCI) have also been in talks about the growing threat of CA firms, other than just foreign law firms, with the Madras high court having indicated that CA firms might be in violation of the law by practising it.
- Details Wed, 25 Mar '15, 15:03 Written by Kian Ganz
Amarchand Delhi’s Shardul Shroff is set to take two additional office spaces in Mumbai after mediation will end, including the soon-to-be-ex Nariman Point office of AZB & Partners.
- Details Mon, 23 Mar '15, 21:02 Written by Kian Ganz
Krishnamurthy & Co (K Law) has promoted five associate partners to partners, effective from 1 April, doubling the number of partners at the firm to 10.
- Details Sun, 22 Mar '15, 12:23 Written by Kian Ganz
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas, as the new partnership under Mumbai-based brother Cyril Shroff is set to be known when started from 1 April, has finalised a list of seven new equity partners, and 12 new salaried partners to be promoted in its existing offices.
- Details Fri, 20 Mar '15, 18:46 Written by Prachi Shrivastava
Khaitan & Co Delhi litigation partner Gauri Rasgotra is set to join Amarchand Mangaldas in Delhi, as part of Amarchand Mumbai managing partner Cyril Shroff’s new Amarchand.
- Details Fri, 20 Mar '15, 12:06 Written by Kian Ganz
According to authoritative sources, Udwadia Udeshi & Argus (UUA) will separate into what remains of the two pre-merger legacy-firm by next month.
- Details Wed, 18 Mar '15, 15:03 Written by Legally India
- Details Tue, 17 Mar '15, 10:48 Written by Kian Ganz
Rahul Dwarkadas, who had resigned from Wadia Ghandy’s partnership on 4 March, will be joining the Mumbai-based firm of ex-AZB & Partners CEO Abhijit Joshi, Veritas Legal.
- Details Mon, 16 Mar '15, 17:51 Written by Prachi Shrivastava
J Sagar Associates (JSA) made up eight equity partners in Delhi Gurgaon, Bombay and Bangalore effective 1 April, according to a press release.
- Details Fri, 13 Mar '15, 18:59 Written by Kian Ganz
Cyril Shroff, Mumbai-based managing partner of Amarchand which is set to split in two, has finalised a lease in Delhi’s Saket area.
- Details Fri, 13 Mar '15, 14:16 Written by Prachi Shrivastava
Schneider Electric group general counsel Suprio Dasgupta joined Dr Reddy’s laboratories as its general counsel.
- Details Fri, 13 Mar '15, 13:27 Written by Prachi Shrivastava
- Examining reciprocity: Japan welcomes Indian lawyers in letter to law ministry, BCI
- Why foreign law firms are most likely to enter India now (or never): An investigation into the realities of legal policy, lobbying & backroom talks
- Modi gov’t pushes for opening of Indian corporate law to foreign firms, in talks to BCI
- Cyril & Shardul register new Amarchand.com domains, as mediators give Shroffs green light to start new offices (+ some big moves)
- Deepak Khosla writs to disbar Khaitan & Co, strip law firm names of ‘& Co’ (armed with archaic HC rules by Khaitan)
- Herbies India head Parsons emerges from 1,260km charity walk with $300,000, mental endurance and Mangalorean squid
- Lalit Bhasin: SILF wants to start long legal liberalisation process in 2015, says BCI & gov’t agree
- Khaitan to abandon much-loathed working Saturdays, moves to 5-day week +1 hour daily