Your Interests & Preferences
There's a lot happening on Legally India, so we want to ensure we show you what is most appropriate.
Please take 10 seconds of your day to tell us what you do NOT like to read about.
Click on each box to de-select, and we'll not show you those types of stories anymore (subject to the 'Always Show Me' option below).
Click to deselect stories you are NOT interested in (to HIDE such stories from LI frontpage):
Always show me: (overrides category)
Website Look & Feel
Note: Your preferences will be saved in your browser. You can always change your settings by clicking the blue Preferences button on the homepage.Reset preferences to defaults?
Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
21 hours ago
An Andhra Pradesh law student was arrested under the IT Act, presumably section 66A, and the IPC, for allegedly posting a comment on Facebook in English and Telugu that stated “I love u hudhoodh”, referring to the destructive cyclone and noting that it was taking revenge against “betrayers”, reported The Hindu, with NDTV translating it as: "I love you hudhud for nature having selectively punished those who cheated - feeling God is there".
A CID press release said that he “posted irresponsible anti-people comments in the Facebook after the natural disaster Hududh”. The student is reportedly a member of the YSR Congress Party, which is in opposition in AP
Fixed fee bids submitted by law firms to win work to document clients’ non-convertible debentures (NCDs) are now only Rs 2-3 lakh per NCD, instead Rs 4-5 lakh that law firms would have charged at the beginning of this year, reported the Economic Times citing a “mid-sized law firm” promoter, as in-house departments were increasingly able to handle part of such deals in-house and competition amongst law firms increased.
Another law firm partner told the ET that it billed around Rs 3 crore on NCDs annually.
A Bangalore employee of Infosys has been arrested under section 377 of the Indian Penal Code for allegedly having sex with another man, which was recorded by his arranged-marriage-wife of six months on a hidden camera, reported the Bangalore Mirror.
The Supreme Court reinstated the colonial-era section 377 provision earlier this year after the Delhi high court had struck down the law, which bans “carnal intercourse against the order of nature” and has been used by police to harass the gay community.
4 days ago
Penningtons Manches partner and India co-head Saionton Basu has joined US firm Duane Morris’ London corporate practice, according to a press release from the firm.
Basu was not reachable for comment.
Penningtons’ India co-head Teja Picton-Howell did not comment at the time of going to press.
Calls for papers
- 10 March 2015: Indian Journal of International Economic Law/ Call for submission...
- The Indian Journal of International Economic Law is now accepting submissions for its upcoming issue – Volume 7. About the Journal: The Indian Journal of...
- 4 days 20 hours ago
- November 30, 2014: Christ University Law Journal
- The Journal and Publication Society at School of Law, Christ University invites submissions for the 6th issue (Vol.4, No.1) of the Christ University Law Journal (January...
- 2 weeks 1 day ago
- 20th October 2014: RGNUL Student Law Review
- This post was originally published on August 4, 2014. It has been updated with respect to submission deadlines. The RGNUL Student Law Review (hereinafter “Law...
- 3 weeks 3 days ago
- 20th October 2014: Students' International Conference on Environmental Problems ...
- University School of Law and Legal Studies, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi invites you to the maiden Students International Conference on...
- 3 weeks 3 days ago
- 10 November 2014: CNLU Law Journal (Vol. 5)
- With great delight and enthusiasm, we bring to you, CNLU Law Journal, a literary endeavour of the Chanakya National Law University, Patna. It seeks to provide a forum for...
- 3 weeks 4 days ago
Latest law school events & conferences
- 3rd November, 2014. Seminar on L.L.M at the Gould School of Law, University of S...
- On 3rd November, 2014, I Shanay Bafna am organising a seminar conducted by Dean Rasmussen, Professor Brown and Stefani Lee of the Gould School of Law, University of...
- 3 hours 36 minutes ago
- 14-16 November, 2014: 1st IIT Law School National Moot Court Competition
- The deadline for electronic registration, as per the Rules (attached), has been extended to November 7, 2014. The deadline for recepit of Hard Copies of registration...
- 2 days 10 hours ago
- 30 & 31 January 2015: National Seminar on Law, Science & Technology: The...
- Institute of Law, Nirma University are organising its 4th National Seminar on Law, Science & Technology: The Way Forward during 30-31 January, 2015 at Ahmedabad. With a...
- 3 weeks 2 days ago
- 20th-22nd February, 2015: Amity National Moot Court Competition, 2015
- Amity Law School, Delhi (Affiliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University) is organising its 14th Amity Moot Court Competition 2015 (AMCC). The College has been...
- 3 weeks 2 days ago
- 08 October 2014- Itmu law school Legal Quiz competition
- Dear All, ITMU Law School organizes 2nd Edition of Legal Quiz Competition as part of it's Cultural & Technical Fest 'Momentum 14' on 8th Oct, 2014. We invite everyone to...
- 3 weeks 4 days ago
Talk about lawyering
- Jindal Law School vs. Symbiosis Law School
- Quote: i am a learner at SLS Noida. Well people while preparing are very much confused and by this time every student must have made their choices but for the later batches to...
- 22 hours 18 minutes ago
- ILS Pune expected cut off
- i have got 84% . should i apply to ils ?
- 3 days 2 hours ago
- Law Related to Fee Structure Decisions of Engineering and MedicalColleges
- Hello. I am a student of BSL 3rd Year, I am surprisedthat Engineering and Medical Colleges are charging fees in Lacs. I wonder hardly any parent is able to give...
- 4 days 13 hours ago
- cheque bounce case
- Quote: You can sue the guy under the negotiable instruments act, as cheque bouncing for whatever reason is a criminal offense under the Negotiable Instruments Act. You can start...
- 1 week 2 days ago
- 1. Do not quit without another job in hand - Your market-value takes a nose dive when you start looking without a job. 2. Do not resign abruptly, if possible. Offer to...
- 1 week 3 days ago
- Internship Certificate Template.
- 1 week 3 days ago
- unwanted calls
- hey, IM getting unwanted calls nd messages since a month.. I m tired of answering the wrong nombers. Nd as n independent persone I font wants to change my contact no....
- 19 hours 54 minutes ago
- right to information
- Respected Sir, I got certified copies of fake document under RTI Act. Such document made by the state information officer by way of forgery. Section 23 of the RTI Act is...
- 20 hours 6 minutes ago
- settlement deed
- we have a property which was bought by my grandfather, before he passed away he made a settlement deed to his only daughter who is my mother.And my mother has 2 sons & a...
- 1 day 12 hours ago
- Check bounce and Fraud
- Hello all, Hoping to get some help here. I have been running around for almost a year now to get some help on this. Here is the story : I paid a huge amount ( about 15...
- 1 day 21 hours ago
- Query on partition suit
- Hi, I have a family of 7members. 3 sisters (all married)and we are two brother with our parents. My grandfather died without leaving any will. My father is the only son...
- 3 days 18 hours ago
- Transfer of house title - Settlement Deed
- Thank you for your wonderful service. I have a quick question. I am a US Citizen, living in US. My parents bought a flat in India using their own funds, and they...
- 4 days 12 hours ago
4 days ago
In an interview to UK legal magazine Legal Week, headlined as “Amarchand sizes up options for first international base as India's unlevel playing field continues to frustrate”, Amarchand Mangaldas Delhi managing partner Shardul Shroff said that the firm was thinking about opening an office abroad.
He told Legal Week:
“Singapore [is the strongest contender] because its links with India are quite strong… Singapore enables clients to service the whole of the ASEAN market… But it could be Hong Kong, London, Dubai or New York – it depends on what 2016 looks like. It also depends where clients need us…
“It would have to be an office of significance, not just a representative office where you receive the mail… We want to do it properly. We also don't want to disturb our international relationships with global law firms – we want to preserve these. But equally we want to provide Indian expertise that is relevant to the international market. We want to be present in markets where the local Indian situation becomes relevant; approaching the clients on their doorstep rather than expecting them to come to India…
“There are firms that have gone to China or Singapore but their offices are small and not significant enough to make a statement on behalf of Indian lawyers.”
Full article behind paywall at Legal Week [with free 2 week trial sign-up]
22 October 2014
J Sagar Associates (JSA) advised German shipping and logistics provider Dachser in acquiring 50 per cent shares of Dachser India from its local joint venture partner the AFL Group which was advised by AZB & Partners.
JSA Bombay M&A partner Sandeep Mehta, senior associate Arup Pereira and associates Punita Gupta and Adil Ladha acted for Dachser. AZB Mumbai partner Abhijit Joshi, senior associate Anand Shah and associate Navroz Vakil acted for the AFL Group.
This deal was part of a larger transaction by which Dascher acquired AFL's stake in a separate JV in Thailand and majority stake in another venture in Bangladesh, according to VC Circle.
22 October 2014
All central ministries and departments will mandatorily upload on their website their replies to Right to Information (RTI) requests from 31 October, to comply with yesterday’s directive issued by the Department of Personnel and Training (DPT), reported the Economic Times and others.
Currently the government replies to individual RTI applicants by post, either providing them the requested information in paper or in electronic form, or asking the applicant to inspect relevant documents at the government department’s premises, or rejecting the request.
Applicants often publish their RTI replies anonymously through various media channels, after redacting their own particulars. When the DPT’s directive is implemented, the particulars of the applicants may also be disclosed transparently on the ministry or departments’ websites.
@bhanupriyarao: Here is the circular http://t.co/0eca5k6ENt Worth writing to DoPT + NIC contacts given there
Last year the UPA government launched an online portal to file RTIs with 82 ministries and departments.
21 October 2014
The Kerala bar council is discussing plans to ban all lawyers from talking to the media about their own cases under the anti-advertising rule 36 of the Bar Council of India (BCI) Rules, which could be implemented after a meeting soon, reported the Deccan Chronicle.
The rule states that advocates must not solicit or advertise, and “not promote himself by circulars, advertisements, touts, personal communications, interviews other than through personal relations, furnishing or inspiring newspaper comments or producing his photographs to be published in connection with cases in which he has been engaged or concerned”.
Proceedings in the Kerala high court are currently ongoing to ban open court reporting by media, while former Chief Justice of India (CJI) and current Kearala governor P Sathasivam said last week that if journalists always read judgments first, there shouldn’t be any reason to ban court reporting.
Phoenix Mills general manager legal Sudarshan KC has joined consumer foods giant Britannia Industries as its head legal in Bangalore earlier this month.
Before joining Phoenix Mills in 2012 was deputy general manager legal at the UB Group, GM-legal at Kingfisher Airlines, and an independent practitioner between 1994 and 2007.
A Bangalore-based businessman was arrested and jailed by police for 21 days in April under section 66A of the IT Act for “spreading canards” about another on online forums, reported The Hindu (via Pranesh Prakash).
The businessman has filed a complaint with the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) and demanded a police inquiry that his arrest was in direct contravention of the Supreme Court guidelines that detentions under Section 66A for sending offensive messages over the internet require permission from a high-ranking police officer (inspector general in cities, or, in districts, deputy commissioners or superintendents).
- TV live broadcasts Fali's SC arguments for Jaya: Bar ass'n wants contempt (+ Jonn Oliver!)
- Gautam Khaitan denied bail, as still wanted by Italians
- 6 things all Bombay HC juniors must learn to become a superstar of the Original Side
- Impact Law Ventures partner Suhas Baliga peels off to start Innove Law for early-stage VCs alongside lobbying firm
- Amarchand Delhi acts for Sumitomo on Rs 200 cr buy of Kochhar-client Carzonrent
- Karanjawala drops RamJet like a stone over black money 'innuendo' vs government
- Find clients & cases
- i want to sue my university for illegal things. (MANIPAL)
- I met with a Road accident, wanted to file case (Bangalore)
- How to file complaint against a lawyer who stole my money? (delhi)
- Need tenant evicted who has stayed in house for 30 years but now has moved out (howrah)
- 1.5 crore family inheritance property dispute (patna (live) / Kerala)