Your Interests & Preferences: Please help us personalise your reading
Deselect types of stories you are NOT interested in (will be HIDDEN from LI frontpage):
Always show me: (overrides the above)
Website Look & Feel
Note: Your preferences will be saved in your browser. You can always change your settings by clicking the blue Preferences button on the homepage.Reset preferences to defaults?
Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
15 hours ago
Copy-paste Snafu, not Taliban: ISPs now ordered to unblock non-porn sites caught in list of 857 that ASG Pinky Anand, DOT fwd directly from anti-porn lawyer Kamlesh Vaswani
I reject with contempt the charge that it is a Talibani government, as being said by some of the critics. Our government supports free media, said telecoms minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, saying that ISPs were ordered today to unblock websites that did not contain pornography that were accidentally included in the secret list of 857 pornographic sites to be blocked in India online.
18 hours ago
SC admits controversial writ against 2014 Delhi district judge exam by CPIL, Prashant Bhushan [READ PETITION]
The 2014 Delhi Judicial Service (DJS) exams controversial results were not stayed, but may be probed after the Supreme Courts order in a writ today. The DJS will hold its interviews for selection of district judges in Delhi on Thursday, as per schedule.
20 hours ago
Hariani & Cos Anirudh Hariani argues that The real estate sector needs one single regulator due to deal with the growing problems of delay in projects, lack of consumer knowledge, unclear land titles and unfair trade practices. Legislation for some of these issues falls under the State List.
2 days ago
Katju has 'freedom' to say 'cow is mother' is 'nonsense' Hindu belief & Netaji Bose is 'japanese agent': Delhi court & SC
Markandey Katju committed no offence by dubbing as “nonsense” the Hindu belief that cow is mother, said a Delhi court while rejecting a plea to register a First Information Report (FIR) against the former Supreme Court judge, reported the PTI. The Supreme Court meanwhile told Katju that the parliament was free to condemn his views, reported IANS.
Metropolitan Magistrate Deepika Singh rejected the complaint that was made against Katju under Section 295A (deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings), Section 298 (uttering words with deliberate intent to wound the religious feelings of any person) and 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race) of the Indian Penal Code 1860 (IPC).
The complainant claimed that Katju had deliberately uttered these words to hurt religious feelings of the entire Hindu community including the complainant, but Singh observed that Katju’s expression fell within his constitutional freedom of speech and expression.
Meanwhile, Katju had, through senior advocate Gopal Subramanium, filed a plea in the Supreme Court arguing that the parliament had damaged his reputation by condemning him for his statement that Indian freedom fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose was a "japanese agent" and Mahatma Gandhi was a "British agent".
The SC bench was headed by justice TS Thakur, and it agreed to hear the matter, appointing senior advocate Fali S Nariman as amicus curiae, but told him that the Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha's passage of unanimous resolutions condemning Katju's statements did not violate Katju's freedom of speech and expression.
2 days ago
Section 66A of the Information Technology Act will be back on the statute books, with modifications, as per the current plan of the government, reported the PTI.
The ministry of home affairs has constituted a committee to examine the implications of the Supreme Court’s March judgment repealing the section, and to suggest changes in the section that will make it fully compatible with the constitution, according to telecom minister Ravi Shankar Prasad’s statement in the parliament.
Another committee chaired by former law commission secretary TK Vishwanathan will study the Supreme Court’s judgment and suggest a “road map” with measures and amendments.
Section 69A, which was also challenged before the Supreme Court but was not ruled unconstitutional in its judgment in March, was invoked by the government to block 857 porn sites in India this weekend, as reported by Legally India.
2 days ago
ISP confirms: Gov’t ordered block of 857 porn sites invoking section 69A, Shreya Singhal’s IT Act leftover [UPDATE-2]
Indian internet service providers (ISPs) received a notice from the Department of Telecommunications (DOT) two days ago (31 July), ordering the blocking of 857 websites, many of which appeared to host pornography, according to an authoritative source at an ISP.
3 days ago
The Supreme Courts secretary general VSR Avadhani has issued a press release that its former deputy registrar (research), Anup Surendranath, had resigned on his own request as he wanted to pursue his interest in research projects in which he is involved in.
5 days ago
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas acted as legal counsel to BNP Paribas in its Rs 2,000 to 2,200 crore acquisition of Sharekhan, with AZB & Partners acting for the sellers.
J Sagar Associates (JSA) Mumbai partners Somasekhar Sundaresan, Vikram Raghani and Jamshed Bhumgara acted for the management shareholders of Sharekhan.
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas Mumbai-based corporate partners Ashwath Rau and Shishir Vayttaden led the team for BNP. Senior advisor Anand Sinha, who was formerly deputy governor at the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), advised on regulatory aspects, while Bangalore-based employment partner Rashmi Pradeep assisted with labour law-related advice.
Tax advice was handled by Cyril Amarchand New Delhi-based tax partner SR Patnaik, while Mumbai-based partner Nisha Kaur Uberoi handled the competition law aspects.
AZB Mumbai-based partner Vaidhyanadhan Iyer acted for the multiple sellers.
The Rs 2,000 crore deal was signed on 30 July 2015 and is expected to close by 31 January 2016. The online share trading platform’s sale to BNP has been hailed as a vote of confidence in India’s equity market, reported Economic Times.
"Owing to misbehaviour and insult meted out to advocates for a pretty long time, we took a resolution to abstain and refrain from attending the court of Justice Girish Gupta,” Calcutta high court Bar Association outgoing secretary Rana Mukherjee told PTI about the reason for lawyers have boycotted Gupta’s court for six days running yesterday.
Gupta turned up to court but “retired to his chamber later in the day” after lawyers did not turn up. The bar has demanded an apology.
5 days ago
‘Man died, justice lived’: How a group of lawyers opened the SC’s doors in the dead of night but failed by dawn [READ YAKUB WRIT & MERCY PETITIONS]
Hope died, man died, justice lived, commented Rishabh Sancheti, one of Yakub Memon's advocates, about the early-morning, eleventh hour Supreme Court hearing that ultimately failed to save his client from the noose. Have you (heard) it happen in any other country?
30 July 2015
Bar Council of India (BCI) chairman Manan Kumar Mishra, who is also the Bihar State Bar Council’s (BSBC) representative at BCI, apologised to the Patna high court for the “mistakes” of the BSBC as the court admonished the BSBC for calling a state-wide lawyer strike on July 15, reported the Times of India.
Chief justice L Narasimha Reddy and justice Anjana Mishra observed that the BSBC had “tarnished the image of the legal profession”, through its call to strike against corruption in the lower judiciary, even though the cause of its strike was “laudable”. The observation came as the bench was hearing an unrelated case.
Mishra appeared before the bench to apologise.
28 July 2015
The cost of a five-year national law university (NLU) course has risen to record levels this year, particularly at the newer NLUs, where the total fees to educate a lawyer come to as much as Rs.2.47 lakh per year, dwarfing the fees charged by the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
27 July 2015
A new hope: Strike & war between DHCBA’s Khosla, Abhijat suspended; DCs to continue fast unto death for pecuniary jurisdiction
Things promised to return to normal in the Delhi high court on Monday after high-stakes drama last week, when the members of DHCBA received message through the newly formed SMS handle DHCBAS declaring that the strike was suspended.
Calls for papers
- September 19th, 2015
- The Debating Society of Chanakya National Law University, Patna is delighted to invite you to the 7th Edition of the CNLU National Parliamentary Debate, to be organised...
- 1 day 16 hours ago
- Call for Papers - International Review of Human Rights Law, Last Date - 5 Septe...
- Call for Papers International Review of Human Rights Law The International Review of Human Rights Law is an effort to address human rights issues around the world. It...
- 5 days 18 hours ago
- 31st October 2015: Call For Papers for KSLU's Student Law Review Vol:III
- Call for Papers ‘Karnataka State Law University’s Student Law Review’, Volume-III Theme: Women Related Issues The Karnataka State Law University’s Student Law...
- 6 days 9 hours ago
- Spetember 3, 2015: Indian Journal of Law and Technology, NLSIU: Special Issue on...
- Call for Papers: The Indian Journal of Law and Technology (IJLT), Special Issue on Net Neutrality The Indian Journal of Law & Technology of the National Law School of...
- 1 week 5 days ago
- Deadline: 15th September, 2015: KIIT Student Law Review
- CALL FOR PAPERS: KIIT STUDENT LAW REVIEW: SUBMIT BY 15TH SEPTEMBER, 2015 The KIIT Student Law Review (KSLR) is the flagship review (ISSN: 2348-4381) of the School of...
- 1 week 6 days ago
- 20th September 2015: RGNUL Student Law Review
- ABOUT THE LAW REVIEW The RGNUL Student Law Review (hereinafter “Law Review”) is a bi-annual, student run, peer reviewed journal based at Rajiv Gandhi National...
- 2 weeks 2 days ago
Latest law school events & conferences
- INBA - Novartis IPR Debate 2015 (8th September 2015) at Mumbai University, Mumba...
- The link when opened shows that the page is not found. Kindly check into it. Thank you
- 12 hours 20 minutes ago
- 2 & 3 October 2015: National Seminar on Capacity Building among Women in Ind...
- CENTRE FOR GENDER STUDIES National Commission for Women Sponsored National Seminar on Capacity Building among Women in India- Entrepreneurship & Estate National Law...
- 1 week 5 days ago
- 21 September 2015: INBA-Novartis Debate 2015, New Delhi
- INBA-Novartis Debate 2015, New Delhi Inviting participants for the INBA-Novartis Debate (From the Law Colleges of Delhi-NCR only) September 21, 2015, New Delhi. Topic :...
- 1 week 5 days ago
- 7th - 13th August 2015: Invitation for Research Methodology Workshop on Legal an...
- Dear Sir/Ma'am, Greetings from Gujarat National Law University! GNLU takes immense pleasure in apprising you that we are organising a Research Methodology Workshop...
- 1 week 5 days ago
Talk about lawyering
- private law school
- Hi Sakshi - please mention in your post that you're an UPES almuni or whatever your affiliation with UPES is...
- 16 hours 38 minutes ago
- Which are the best private law schools in India
- Hi Sakshi, you might want to mention in your posts that you're an UPES alumni?
- 16 hours 38 minutes ago
- Is UPES College of Legal Studies good?
- Hi UPES is a very good university. UPES is the one of the few universities in India offering integrated and specialized courses which are very popular.. so from my...
- 16 hours 54 minutes ago
- MBL of NLSIU
- Can you tell me what is the source of your information regarding the NET exam. Are you sure that qualifying MBL would make me eligible to write NET. I do have a...
- 17 hours 4 minutes ago
- Pls pls and experts, I need or guidance My advocate says he will prove my marriage void I am listing wat he told me to do, Kindly advise wat he is trying to do 1....
- 1 day 12 hours ago
- Studying LLB in the UK queries regarding the Indian Bar Council
- I am looking forward to study LLB in the UK. If i study in a university which is affiliated with the Indian Bar Council, will i be able to practise law in the UK as...
- 1 day 17 hours ago
- Mother Son Widow
- So Mr. X and Mrs. Y own a house. Y is the mother of X. Mr. X dies. Now, Mr. X had a wife and two sons. Mr. X's father who was Mrs. Y's husband had a will which stated...
- 8 hours 53 minutes ago
- When, how and from whom will I get compensation for Breach of Contract?
- the DP cannot act as per the orders of the police when civil suit status quo order is pending. It amounts to violation of the order. you can file contempt petition...
- 1 day 13 hours ago
- Can ancestral property be sold without consent of successors ?
- sir, i have a small doubt about when the succesors are major,they will they have the rights in that property
- 4 days 16 hours ago
- Help regarding harassment through unwanted telephone calls.
- check the number through www.true caller.com
- 6 days 10 hours ago
- Right of grandson in ancestral property and Law of Limitation
- MY Grand father (Mother's father) died intestate,in late 80's when I was 35 years old. I was staying away from my parents due to my profession. My mother had sold the...
- 1 week 1 day ago
- Regarding Possesion of Property
- pl call me 9246375635
- 1 week 2 days ago