While Nalsar got close but India did not manage to repeat last year's NLSIU Jessup win, the national law school from Bangalore did get laurels at one of the other massively prestigious international moots: NLS was the runner-up team at the Vis Vienna Arbitration Moot over the weekend, also picking up two honourable mentions for speakers.
Story to be updated when we get more. [MPL Facebook page]
Salve bats for McDonald's v Mukul Rohatgi, claiming Vikram Bakshi forum shops to avoid LCIA arbitration
A detailed report in the Eco Times on the long-running legal scuffle between McDonald's and its local JV partner Vikram Bakshi. McDonald's has accused Bakshi in the Delhi high court of forum shopping by launching Company Law Board (CLB) and Delhi high court challenges to a London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) proceeding between the parties.
Bakshi, represented by senior counsel Mukul Rohatgi to date, has been fighting for his reinstatement as managing director of the joint venture after he was ousted by McDonald's in 2013.
Senior counsel Harish Salve will appear for McDonald's today, arguing against the Indian proceedings so that the London arbitration can proceed. [Economic Times]
Sahara, which is on a money-collecting drive from employees to gather Rs 5,000 crore to pay for its boss' bail, has sent a defamation notice to milk maker Amul's owner, the Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation.
The famous Amul girl marketing campaign regularly makes fun of current affairs topics, and in this case captioned an Amul girl comic strip with "besahara parivar" and "hard to share" - a pun on Sahara's old slogan "Sahara parivar" - the Sahara family - and the Hindi word besahara, meaning lacking in (family) assistance. ,width-300,resizemode-4/Amul-Besahara-Parivaar.jpg [Times of India] [Amul comic ad image]
Infosys senior vice president and general counsel Nithyanandan Radhakrishnan has quit to set up his own law firm in Bangalore, telling TOI: "My exit was amicable. I am going to turn 40 next year and I wanted to do something on my own. In fact, I wanted to quit after the Department of Justice settlement last year. But since there were exits after that, I wanted to stay on for a while."
In a statement Infosys said it would be the first major client of the former GC, who graduated from NLSIU Bangalore in 1998, and specialises in corporate transactional and compliance work. [Times of India]
3 days ago
Advocate and Christian nun Sister Jasmine, who has been enrolled since 2000 with the Delhi bar council and is currently working with the Human Rights Law Network (HRLN), said she would file a complaint about other lawyers having objected to her wearing her nun's habit with with the advocates' band. [Indian Express]
Outgoing Bar Council of India (BCI) chairman Manan Kumar Mishra told the Indian Express that while the wearing of a "turban is not a problem" with the advocate's uniform, a nun's habit was not allowed.
Retired judge S N Dhingra disagreed: "Just as turbans and other religious markers are allowed in court, a habit is also not a violation" [via @mohitsingh8 on Twitter]
The police had fired the policewoman after compelling her to take medical exams several years ago that determined she was transgender.
The Madras high court, relying on this week's Supreme Court judgment, told the police to reinstate her in service [TOI]
4 days ago
4 days ago
A woman has allegedly been molested inside a Delhi high court room while she was accompanied by her father and lawyer.
An unnamed man allegedly first stared at her in the court's lobby, later stood beside her and put his hand on her shoulder, and then touched her inappropriately on 5 March. CCTV footage is being examined. [Times of India]
The dean of Bharati Vidyapeeth University's New Law College in Pune was suspended, after he was allegedly "caught" at his home with a 22-year old female law student.
The student did not press charges but dean Dr Mukund Sarda has been suspended pending an investigation, after residents at his society made a police complaint. BJP and Shiv Sena workers reportedly protested at the police station and demanded that a complaint be registered against the deal, claiming that it was not the first time residents complained against the dean who was "notorious" for "such activities".
The dean told Mid-Day: "The girl came to my house voluntarily. We were preparing for a power point presentation. It is a temporary suspension. I expect a fair inquiry. The residents of the society who approached the police have never given me any notice or warning before." [Mid-Day]
A Supreme Court bench of Justices KS Radhakrishnan and Vikramjit Sen modified a Delhi high court order giving the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) power to do a statutory or special audit of private telecom companies accounts.
Instead, the bench decided that the CAG should have the right to scrutinise the accounts of private telecoms companies to make sure that the government was getting "legitimate share" from the Telcos' use of natural resources such as spectrum.
Talk about lawyering
- DU vs Nationals , DU placements ?
- Hey guys ! Along with DU llb Iam also thinking of applying for GLC and ILS . I have 79% in Graduation. I guess I will get through ILS not sure about GLC though. And I...
- 1 day 5 hours ago
- 3 year LLB - Admission Question
- I also pursuing b.com . I m also going for law career . there are now only sum clg for 3 yr llb course . Delhi university , panjab university , indore university , bhu ,...
- 3 days 8 hours ago
- Is the arbitrator(s) duty bound to go-through all the documents produced before him by the parties to arbitration or can he summarily go -through it and pass an award?
- 4 days 30 minutes ago
- GNLU or NLUJ ???
- Please give a brief difference between both of them..in all the aspects..please..
- 4 days 3 hours ago
- confidential information supplied via RTI...can any action be taken on the below...
- Hello Friends, I just found out about RTI India through google search. I have just registered so I am new to this thread. I really need an advice, I request you to...
- 5 days 6 hours ago
- Builder responsibilities towards getting Khatha in Apartments - Karnataka(Bangal...
- Hi Is there any specific Act/Law that talks about builder responsibilities in getting Khatha for individual apartment owners in Karnataka(Bangalore). The BBMP asks for...
- 6 days 11 hours ago
- Lost of Allotment letter cum allocation letter
- I need a sample allocation letter for houses in a real estate.
- 1 minute ago
- false rape allegation
- Dear Sir/Madam, We would like take legal help regarding in this case, i belong to very poor family, case details are given below : 1. In neighbor of my home a girl who...
- 6 hours 11 minutes ago
- Importance of Sale Deed in Collaboration Agreement
- Collabration Agreement is required and is to be signed to detail the rights and duties of each party to the agreement. The same should be the first Primary Document which...
- 6 hours 24 minutes ago
- Unpaid salary Noida??? Need legal advice
- Helo All... I was working with unregistered consultancy in noida from dec 2013. I went office on 31 Mar but in eve i met with accident and was on medical leave for 15...
- 22 hours 1 minute ago
- BAIL FOR IPC 452
- one of the tenant has lounched false complain of tresspassing and physical injury to him against four innocent tenanats of same building under section 452. how to get...
- 2 days 23 hours ago
- Persuing regular study along with regular govt job
- Dear Sir/Madam, I am working in central govt PSU on Group C non gazetted post from 4+ years. I got selected on the basis of Bachelor of Arts during I was in 2nd year of...
- 3 days 57 minutes ago
The National Stock Exchange (NSE) has alleged that Hyderabad-based firm Manshi Systems has been selling customers access to a subscription-only NSE service. The stock exchange has now started proceedings in the Bombay high court against the firm and, significantly, also against the Indian subsidiary of the firm's web hosting company GoDaddy, which is the world's largest domain name registrar.
The NSE is represented by Krishna and Saurastri Associates partner Manish Saurastri. Cyber lawyer Pavan Duggal told Mint that under the IT Act, intermediaries, such as GoDaddy, would have to prove in court that they had exercised due diligence against copyright infringement.
The story did not specify whether GoDaddy, which apparently manages 57m domain names, received and ignored any takedown requests from the NSE before the court case, or whether it otherwise failed to be diligent in spotting the allegedly infringing service. [Mint]
15 April 2014
15 April 2014
11 April 2014
10 April 2014
Fali Nariman: 'Apprehensive' about Modi, Manmohan = failed; likes Sathasivam, doesn't like Lokpal, panchayats
A few days ago the Financial Express did a long interview with senior advocate and former parliamentarian Fali Nariman.
The chat covers a dozen topics, including Nariman's fear of modern Hinduism's intolerance, how a Narendra Modi prime minister would affect the courts and constitution, judicial reforms, Lokpal and more. Well worth a read. [Financial Express] [via @AparatBar on Twitter]
10 April 2014
As polls kicked off in Delhi today we asking, who do lawyers and, more importantly, Legally India readers, want as Indias next government? The outgoing Bar Council of India (BCI) chairman (as a representative of 1.7m lawyers), already said he wants you to vote Modi. But what do you want? Have your say here, anonymously, in the poll or comments. [Compare manifestos / Congress law record]
- PETA wins in Bombay HC to release tortured elephant
- BMR Legal poaches ‘ace’ LKS litigating partner of 28 years
- Amarchand Mumbai kills automatic ‘designate’ associate lockstep, promotes 13 principals, 20 senior associates
- BJP manifesto v Cong manifesto: Same same except gay sex, FDI, cow protection
- 4 billion dollars: Amarchand, Crawford, Luthra & 2 foreigns help troubled Ranbaxy sell out to Sun Pharma
- ‘Death for rape’ is not justice but symptom of a society that doesn’t value women
- Find clients & cases
- I need a advice: My employer is refusing to pay my last salary just because I was on leave. (Noida)
- Owner passed away, property was in his name. His wife, son and a daughter are fighting over the righ... (kurukshetra)
- 5 Indonesian citizens' unpaid dues by oil companies: Need lawyer to serve legal notice in India (Delhi)
- NRI wants to file discrimination PIL v Ministry of External Affairs and Indian Embassy in US (Bermuda, North America)
- My property illegally acquired by some local individual and has now constructed a house, without hav... (Lucknow (case) / Gurgaon (client))