Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
4 hours ago
The Supreme Court Monday agreed to hear the plea of NGO Centre for Public Interest Litigation (CPIL), seeking a recall of its order wanting the disclosure of the identity of the whistleblower who gave information on the CBI director meeting the accused in 2G and other cases at his official residence and allegedly interfering in the probe and prosecution.
The apex court bench of Justice HL Dattu and Justice SA Bobde both declined to pass any order on CBI director Ranjit Sinha’s plea seeking the dismissal of the NGO’s application seeking a probe against him after it had refused to disclose the identity of the source on which it was basing its allegation against him.
The court asked Special Public Prosecutior in the 2G case Anand Grover to examine all the material before the court and assist it on the NGO’s application seeking a recall of its order asking to disclose the identity of the whistleblower.
Seeking his assistance, the court said its order has great ramification as it may be cited in other pending PILs or which may come in future for seeking the disclosure of identity of the source.
4 hours ago
The Supreme Court will Tuesday hear a plea alleging police inaction on a complaint by an advocate from Chhattisgarh, alleging gang rape by her husband’s family members and two others on 29 November 2013.
When the apex court bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) RM Lodha was about to leave a court room after the completion of cases listed before it Monday, the advocate got up crying for justice, saying she was gang raped.
She said, despite lodging complaints, Chhattisgarh police have taken no action against her perpetrators.
As she was not clearly audible, the apex court asked another female lawyer sitting next to her to tell the court what she was saying.
She reportedly said that she had consumed naphthalene balls. At this the apex court directed her to be taken to its Central Government Health Scheme’s first aid centre. She was later moved to the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.
Taking suo motu cognizance of the matter, the apex court said it will hear the case Tuesday
8 hours ago
Chandrachud cracks down: 11 of 20 judicial trainees sacked after harassing female judge during drunken dinner
The Allahabad high court terminated 11 trainee judicial officers from the lower judicial service last week after a drunken brawl in Lucknow in which the 11 were involved, reported the Times of India.
The 11 had visited a restaurant on 7 August to celebrate the completion of their training on 8 August, had allegedly consumed liquor and then engaged in a scuffle with people present at the restaurant. The footage of this was recorded on the restaurant’s CCTV camera.
The HC’s administrative committee had already recommended the suspension of 20 trainee judges who were originally accused of misbehaviour, according to several local news sources, but the full court headed by chief justice DY Chandrachud decided to terminate the services of 11 out of those 20. The full court also transferred three additional directors at their institute, who had allegedly tried to hush up the incident.
A female trainee judge was the target of their misbehaviour in the inebriated condition, reported ENI.
AAP-led Lok Sabha campaign starts drive to impeach Justice KL Manjunath for alleged 'crores' of wealth
Four Lok Sabha Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MPs and others have collected signatures to impeach Karnataka high court judge Justice KL Manjunath, two months after the central government rejected the Supreme Court collegium’s recommendation to transfer him to Punjab and Haryana, reported the Indian Express.
The MPs would like the president to initiate Manjunath’s removal under Article 217 and 214(4) of the Constitution for “proved misbehaviour”, alleging “wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income”, “abused his position to amass several movable and immovable properties worth crores of rupees, disproportionate to his known sources of income”, hearing and deciding a petition in favour of a housing society where his daughter owned a plot, and “failing to declare his assets in violation of the Full Court Resolution of 1997”, according to the paper, which has seen the petition. The petition includes property registration deeds and other documents as annexes.
Amarchand Mangaldas principal associate Ajay Joseph has joined Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan as a corporate partner in Mumbai.
After graduating from Symbiosis Pune and a postgraduate at the University of Durham, Joseph worked at FoxMandal Little for around two years, Khaitan & Co for four years, and Amarchand Mumbai from 2012.
He could not be reached for comment since yesterday.
The NGO Centre for Public Interest Litigation (CPIL), represented by advocate Prashant Bhushan, today declined to name the whistleblower who disclosed the alleged interference by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Director Ranjit Sinha in the 2G investigation and prosecution after meeting the accused in the 2G and coal scam cases.
The CPIL, in its affidavit filed Thursday, said that its governing body in its meeting Sep 17 decided not to reveal the identity of the whistleblower who took off the lid on the alleged interference in 2G matters by the CBI director. The NGO’s governing body consists of advocates Anil Divan, Colin Gonsalves, Shanti Bhushan, Kamal Jaswal, Kamini Jaiswal and Prashant Bhushan, reported *Mint].
The NGO said this in response to the Sep 15 order of justices HL Dattu and SA BobdeRead more at:
Calls for papers
- 10 January 2015: Daksh Legislation Drafting Competition, 2014
- It is with great pleasure that Daksh announces the Second Legislation Drafting Competition, 2014. The success of last years’ competition prompted us to look toward...
- 1 week 3 days ago
- Rolling submissions: JINDAL CRIMINAL LAW REVIEW : CALL FOR PAPERS
- Jindal Criminal Law Review (JCLR), a student-run, peer reviewed journal of Centre for Penology, Criminal Justice & Police Studies (CPCJPS) of Jindal Global Law School...
- 2 weeks 6 days ago
Latest law school events & conferences
- Duping gullible people in the name of prize money won by e-mail.
- I have been receiving regular spam mails informing that my e-mail account has won Millions of Dollars or Crores of rupees from companies like Land Rover, Nokia, BMW,...
- 3 days 5 hours ago
- 10th to 12th October, 2014 : NUALS Parliamentary Debate Competition 2014
- [attachment] Dear Debaters, Adjudicators and Debate Enthusiasts, The Interdisciplinary Centre for Social Justice (ICSJ) at the National University of...
- 4 days 6 hours ago
- 12th-15th February 2015: 16th D.M. Harish Memorial Government Law College Intern...
- The Moot Court Association of Government Law College in association with the D.M. Harish foundation is pleased to announce the 16th D.M. Harish Memorial Government Law...
- 1 week 1 day ago
- 11th Nani Palkhivala Memorial Government Law College National Tax Moot Court Com...
- "The Moot Court Association of the Government Law College regrets announcing the discontinuation of the Nani Palkhivala Memorial Government Law College National Tax Moot...
- 1 week 1 day ago
- 8th-9th November 2014: ALL INDIA STUDENTS CONFERENCE 2014 - 1st Edition
- Centre for Economy Development & Law, Govt. Law College, Thrissur, is calling papers for All India Student Conference on "Restructuring Indian State, Society and Economy:...
- 2 weeks 1 day ago
- 27 - 28 September 2014: National Law Fest Lex-Bonanza, 2014 (Indore Institute of...
- [attachment] Quote: Law is the vision of the blind, The voice of the dumb, The stick of the Lame Law is the messiah-rendering solace and support to all...
- 2 weeks 1 day ago
Talk about lawyering
- DU Law Fac entrance exam prep?
- Dear sir; Please Suggest me best books for the preparation. because my parents allow me once to attempt this exams and i won't to loose this opportunity please suggest me...
- 2 hours 2 minutes ago
- Almost all the tourists
- 49ers vs Cardinals Live Stream Broncos vs Seahawks Live Stream Dolphins vs Chiefs Live Stream Sunday Night Football Live Stream Steelers vs Panthers Live Stream
- 15 hours 25 minutes ago
- It would eventually cost
- Saints vs Vikings Live Stream Chargers vs Bills Live Stream Cowboys vs Rams Live Stream Redskins vs Eagles Live Stream Texans vs Giants Live Stream Bengals vs Titans Live...
- 19 hours 47 minutes ago
- POWER OF ATTORNEY
- Sir, Can my wife give a power of attorney regarding the immovable property of her father(expired) for selling /giving gift to other /giving lease /taking bank loan...
- 1 day 4 hours ago
- LLB after B.E.
- i have just completed my BE in civil engineering and is very much interested in pursuing law, currently i am working in a construction company. is it a good idea to do...
- 2 days 18 hours ago
- DU vs Nationals , DU placements ?
- DU CLC is for those who want to do everything else than career oriented study. Boring lectures idiotic environment laissez faire no placements
- 3 days 20 minutes ago
- Tenant is not giving the PDC
- I have a tenant in Mumbai. My tenant has given post dated checks for few months . But he has refused to give any more PDC. His rent is due on 3rd of next month. The LL...
- 19 hours 29 minutes ago
- Property Division
- Hi, My Grandfather died early this year, and doesn't make any will. Now, my grand mother is alive and his 4 son and 3 sisters are there. One son doesn't stay at the same...
- 1 day 20 hours ago
- Adoption of Muslim Child by Hindus
- Whether a Muslim child can be adopted under Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act 2000 ? See :...
- 3 days 43 minutes ago
- Property rights after 10 years.
- Father expired. Total 7 children's (4sons and 3 daughters). Property goes to wife. She along with all sons appoint one of the son as GPA holder and forms a layout...
- 3 days 20 hours ago
- Rights of the Payee in the event of Dishonour of a Cheque
- Hello, Suppose if a person named Akash issues a cheque or another person/company or an NGO for an amount of say 50,000 INR. Please note that Akash has not taken money...
- 4 days 4 hours ago
- Property Transfer
- My husbands paternal uncle wants to transfer a flat that he owns to my husbands name. What is the simplest and least expensive procedure for this transfer. Also we have...
- 5 days 1 hour ago
5 days ago
5 days ago
NLU Delhi fourth-year student Naman Mohnot has written and published a book on ragging.
He describes the book as the “first book of its own kind on Ragging, which encompasses each and every aspect of ragging viz., definition, psychological aspect, legal aspect, judicial trend, alarming statistics, role of different machineries etc”, and adds: “The book is not limit to these points, but goes beyond it and gives the steps to be followed after being ragged. Thus, this is the first benefit oriented book which provides social steps, legal steps and other steps after being ragged.”
Mohnot’s book has a foreword written by senior advocate Ram Jethmalani and former Supreme Court judge Ashok Mathur, an introductory chapter written by former Supreme Court justice Arijit Pasayat and a prologue by NLU Delhi vice chancellor Prof Ranbir Singh.
BJP politician and the party’s former national secretary Lalitha Kumaramangalam was Wednesday appointed as the new chairperson of the National Commission for Women (NCW), replacing pervious chairperson Mamta Sharma.
The announcement was made by union Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi at a press conference on the completion of 100 days of her ministry here.
Scroll.in lists nine, mostly compelling, reasons for why convicted serial murdered Surendra Koli should not be hanged, including a lack of evidence, his apparent psychopathy, iffy confession and oher circumstances. Worth a read, at Scroll.in.
Senior counsel Indira Jaising had obtained a stay on Koli’s execution in the early hours of Monday, 7 September morning, from Supreme Court Justice HL Dattu. The Supreme Court has now stayed his execution until the end of October.
Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari Monday said the government will soon come up with a law and allow running of e-rickshaws in Delhi.
Addressing reporters here on the completion of his 100 days in the ministry, Gadkari said his ministry Monday brought a draft notification concerning the plying of e-rickshaws in the national capital.
He said the draft notification will be on the ministry’s website for the next 10 days.
He said soon his ministry “will make the relevant law and e-rickshaws will start plying again”.
The Delhi High Court last week said the ban on plying of “illegal” e-rickshaws in Delhi would continue till the law is amended to bring them under the ambit of the Motor Vehicles Act, adding that “what is prohibited by law is not permitted in action”.
12 September 2014
The Supreme Court Friday extended its order putting on hold the execution of the death sentence of Nithari killer Surendra Koli till Oct 29.
While extending the stay, an apex court bench headed by Chief Justice-designate Justice H.L. Dattu asked the senior counsel to place before them in bullet points the grounds on which Koli is seeking a review of the judgement confirming his death sentence by the top court.
The court will hear Koli’s review petition Oct 28.
Late on Sunda night senior counsel Indira Jaising had obtained the first stay of execution that was scheduled for Monday, in order to hear an oral review of his judgment.
More background at The Hindu.
11 September 2014
Desai & Diwanji (D&D) Delhi head and corporate partner Sumes Dewan started up last week, having left the firm two months ago. His full service start-up law firm Lex Favios has offices in Bombay and Delhi, and has 15 lawyers, including him, with at least 10 years of experience working in various law firms.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Sunder Lal has declined taking congisance of the police’s charge sheet against BJP president Amit Shah for alleged hate speech in Uttar Pradesh during the election campaign there, because the police had not tried arresting Shah, or seeking warrant or attachment proceedings under section 173 of the CrPc before filing the charge sheet in court.
The magistrate returned the charge sheet to the police to “remove errors”, reported PTI. The police charged Shah with seeking votes on the grounds of religion, race, caste and community under section 123(3) of the Representation of the People Act, and section 188 of the IPC (disobedience to order promulgated by a public servant).
11 September 2014
Madras high court chief justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul has ordered that every judgment must mention on its first page, the dates on which it was reserved and pronounced, in a bid to increase transparency of and reduce the delay in pronouncing judgments, reported The Hindu.
Kaul relied on the 13-year-old Supreme Court order in Anil Rai vs State of Bihar, in which justices KT Thomas and RP Sethi said that “if the judgment, for any reason, is not pronounced within six months, any of the parties shall be entitled to moving an application before the Chief Justice with a prayer to withdraw the case and make it over to any other Bench for fresh arguments. It is open to the Chief Justice to grant the prayer or pass any other order as he deems fit”.
Kaul has directed the the high court’s registry to create a new column in judgment templates to contain those dates, and to send him a list of all judgments reserved but not pronounced.
- Vijay Mallya lucky in Gujarat? HC strikes down RBI wilful defaulter director restrictions, in unrelated case [READ ORDER]
- Teetotal Justice Anil Dave sees 'no logic' behind Kerala booze ban
- Case of the week: Ban 'Finding Fanny' because 'vulgar' word pollutes kids' minds [Update: DISMISSED]
- Wadia Ghandy partner & cricket captain Amit Manubarwala joins ELP corporate
- NUJS registrar appeals against suspension in Cal HC
- Ex in-house lawyer starts ‘one of first’ corporate law firms in Goa
- Find clients & cases
- We are a young startup company operating in health care domain. We need legal help in drafting end ... (bangalore)
- property - a shop under dispute (Delhi)
- After parents died, want to leave family without losing property / business share but they have all ... (Sri Ganganagar)
- Non payment of Salary on International Contractual Assignment with Malaysian firm (Udaipur)
- How to get a divorce from wife, who has extramarital affair but does not consent? (Chandigarh)