Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
The Bar Council of India (BCI) has stated that under Rule III of the BCI rules “wearing of advocate’s gown shall be optional except when appearing in the Supreme Court or in High courts”, reported the Times of India, and under Rule IV, “wearing of black coat is not mandatory” during summer.
The relaxed dress code, communicated in a letter of 16 July by the BCI, was a response to a letter sent on 2 June by the Tamil Nadu Federation of Women’s Lawyers, requesting the exemption because of the inordinate heat in summer, particularly in Tamil Nadu.
Punjab and Haryana high court chief justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul was today sworn-in as chief justice of the Madras high court.
The 55-year-old Delhi University law graduate and former senior counsel replaces Justice RK Agrawal, who was elevated to the Supreme Court, and acting chief justice Satish K Agnihotri. [The Hindu]
The force feeding of a fasting Muslim by a Shiv Sena politician was termed “very regrettable and unfortunate” by the home minister in Parliament; an NGO meanwhile took legal action:
Advocate Imran Ali alleged that the act of Sena MP Vichare was a “deliberate act” to “grab public attention” and “hurt sentiments and religious feelings of Muslims”. He claimed that the act was “intentional” since the “Shiv Sena claims and has projected itself to be a non-secular party”.
The lawyer sought registration of an FIR under IPC sections 153A (promoting enmity), 295A (deliberate act to insult religious belief) and 298 (intent to wound religious feelings).
The Bar Council of India (BCI) has extended the registration date for the All India Bar Exam (AIBE) to 13 August, according to a notice dated today (25 July) on the official AIBE website. Registrations were scheduled to end today after the bar exam date was postponed to 7 September 2014.
The Supreme Court has appointed senior advocate RS Cheema as the special public prosecutor (SPP) in the Coalgate scam special court trial, reported the PTI, presided over by additional sessions judge Bharat Parashar.
A week ago the bench of Chief Justice RM Lodha, Justice Madan B Lokur and Justice Kurian Joseph had heavily pushed for Gopal Subramanium, who bowed out of the apex court judgeship process, to become SPP.
4 days ago
The seventh All India Bar Examination (AIBE – VII) has been postponed for candidates appearing from Cochin from 7 September to a yet undecided date.
The Bar Council of India (BCI) said in its notification that the exam was postponed in Kerala due to Thirunoam celebrations on that date. The notification on the AIBE’s website states:
“As per the council decision via letter ref no : BCI:D:3487/2014, This is to inform the candidates from the state of Kerala who have applied for AIBE-VII that the examination will not be conducted on 7th September 2014 in Kerala due to the celebration of Thiruonam. All the candidates who have selected their examination center as Cochin will be allowed to appear for the examination that will be held on a later date. The date of the examination will soon be published online."
5 days ago
The Calcutta high court is set to get its first female chief justice, as Kerala high court chief justice Manjula Chellur gets trasnferred to Calcutta after its CJ Arun Mishra was elevated as a Supreme Court judge, reported the New Indian Express.
Justice Chellur became a Karnataka HC judge in 2000 and replaced now SC justice Chelameswar as Kerala HC’s CJ in November 2011.
Talk about lawyering
- need some help regarding preparation for judiciary
- i found this wonderful online resource for preperation and legal knowledge. www.youtube.com/channel/UC7MhU83g0XTkDRIELQkUIwg/videos It starts with some...
- 10 hours 13 minutes ago
- I recently finished class rounds at NLS. I really dont understand what this hype about mooting is all about. It really doesnt seem that exciting or interesting.
- 10 hours 32 minutes ago
- Smoking In Jindal University
- Lol bro. No campus in India is "smoking free".
- 21 hours 42 minutes ago
- 5 years integrated Law after completing B.A
- Hello guyz I have just completed my graduation in this year..My current age is 21 years..Can someone please tell me that doing a 5 yrs Law programme instead of 3 years...
- 1 day 16 hours ago
- Property posessed and taken care by us
- Dear, Caring someone is good thing, but what's the title of the property and in which title they are claiming the same. Elaborate your facts ... Advocate Kapil Chandna...
- 2 days 9 hours ago
- What are the opportunities after law degree?
- Dear Ginger Meggs, I practice in the field of Indirect Taxation. During my 5 Year Law Course i did not come across the subject and had a fear of the same as I had been...
- 2 days 16 hours ago
- stay order on a machinery stores
- Hi, My father is 3 brothers.My father is a general physician in azamgarh.My both uncles live in varanasi.we have joint family.my elder uncle was manager of the family...
- 11 hours ago
- want help with status quo and prohibition writ appeal
- My father wants to file an appeal in regards with continuance of status-quoin a trust matter. He wants to invoke the writ of prohibition. I am sending an attached copy of...
- 1 day 18 hours ago
- seeking divorce from non willing wife
- Dear, Its a harsh kind of cruelty and consturtive desertion as well. File a suit for divorce. Advocate Kapil Chandna 9899011450
- 2 days 9 hours ago
- Need advice regarding international travel when accused of criminal charges
- Dear, Since the court has not asked for the same, then do you want the court to impound your passport or something? just ask you lawyer to find out the correct position...
- 2 days 9 hours ago
- Grandfather's property dispute - No Will
- Dear, There are always a way if there is a will, getting a blank paper signed and writing anything over it does not amount to free consent in the eyes of law and the...
- 2 days 9 hours ago
- harssing by emails
- Dear, Just write a complete compliant to the nearest police station and get the same posted to DCP, ACP and SHO of the concerned police station, then see the results....
- 2 days 9 hours ago
22 July 2014
Chief Justice of India (CJI) RM Lodha has notified the Supreme Court Rules, 2013 that have received the president’s assent and will reduce the maximum time of the apex court’s summer vacations from 10 to 7 weeks, reported the Indian Express, though the total annual holidays will remain capped at 103 days [Download rules here].
The court took 49 days (7 weeks) of summer vacations this year, against an average of 45 days for the past few years. However, the move is seen as symbolic of Lodha’s desire to reduce pendency in the courts by increasing the number of working days, which has seen heavy resistance from bar councils and associations.
Supreme Court advocate Vineet Dhanda, who was booked in March for an alleged altercation with the police, has hit back at the cops by reportedly exonerating himself with CCTV and video footage of his interaction with the police that he obtained via a right to information (RTI) request for the police’s internal inquiry files into the case. The video evidence apparently directly contradicts the police’s charges against the advocate.
Dhanda now told the DNA that he would sue the cops for defamation after filing false cases against him and roughing up him and his wife.
Chief Justice of India (CJI) RM Lodha said that senior counsel Gopal Subramanium, who recently withdrew from the process to become a Supreme Court judge after government leaks about his suitability, should be the special public prosecutor in the Coalgate scam cases, reported the PTI.
Lodha, who had expressed his regrets about Subramanium's withdrawal from the judgeship process, told the bar appearing before him and two other judges: "If I failed in something you [lawyers appearing in the matter] persuade [Subramanium]... We want a person of impeccable integrity and fine legal mind."
Verus Advocates Mumbai partner Jay Parikh, assisted by associates Aastha Khurana, Rashna Jehani and Priyanka Devgan, acted for Hyderabad-based Sagar Cements which sold 47 per cent of its Vicat Sagar Cement to an affiliate of its French joint-venture partner Vicat Group for Rs 435 crore. MNK Law Delhi partner Probal Bhaduri and associate Kamalika Bhattacharjee acted for Vicat.
17 July 2014
“Daring” the government to do away with laws requiring tribunals to be headed by judicial members chief justice of India (CJI) RM Lodha said that it is these laws that create a public perception that retired judges are “running and running and running after tribunals”, reported the Economic Times.
He reportedly said:
The government enacts all these laws insisting that they be headed by judicial members. This creates a perception among the public that retired judges are running and running and running after tribunals
The CJI was part of a five-judge bench hearing a petition challenging the central government’s move to create, among other things, a National Tax Tribunal and a Companies Appellate Tribunal, when he said this.
16 July 2014
The Supreme Court collegiums turned down the government’s advice to “reconsider” its recommendation to elevate Karnataka high court justice Manjunath to chief justice at Punjab & Haryana, reported NDTV.
The Chief Justice of India, R M Lodha had criticized the government, two weeks ago, for dropping former Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium's name from the panel of names suggested by the collegium for appointment as Supreme Court judges.
16 July 2014
The Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA) has warned Supreme Court interns that if they use the court’s main canteen between 12:30pm and 2:30pm, they may face “the embarrassment of being asked to leave”, as those hours at the canteen are reserved for the exclusive use of SCBA members.
In a notice published on the SC website today, SCBA secretary Aishwarya Bhati stated:
“It has been observed that Interns are occupying the main Canteen especially during lunch hours leading to server inconvenience [sic] being caused to the Members and even Senior Members.
Members are requested to kindly instruct Counsel/persons interning with them not to occupy the canteen especially during lunch hours, as the main Plaza Canteen and cafeteria is for the exclusive use of Members.
We have specifically directed the canteen contractor not to serve any non-lawyers between 12:30pm and 2:30pm.
Interns are also requested to scrupulously comply with this notice to save themselves of the embarrassment of being asked to leave.”
15 July 2014
Kian Ganz explains on Newslaundry how over the last week the papers have been happily running with a news story about how AK Ganguly, the former Supreme Court judge who had allegedly harassed one of his interns after retirement, with headlines such as “Ganguly gets Centre’s clean chit in intern case”.
The only problem: it never actually happened. Read the full article on Newslaundry that shows how badly they got it wrong.
15 July 2014
Trilegal advised US-based multimedia company Tribune’s Singapore arm in its Rs 161 crore ($27m) acquisition of What’s On India Media which was advised by V Law.
Trilegal Bangalore partner Kosturi Ghosh acted for Tribune Digital Ventures – the Singapore arm. V Law founding partner Vivek Daswaney acted for the Mumbai-based television guide firm whose existing investors – Nexus India, INTEL Capital and Sequoia Capital exited through this deal, according to VC Circle.
- Bench hits bar association prez & others with contempt over transfer strike
- Law ministry leaks question marks about collegium's choice of next Punjab CJ
- Judge-led inquiry committee into NUJS Kolkata finds evidence of ‘financial mismanagement’
- 'New' lawyers to get 5K stipend per month, resolves BCI
- Khaitan’s Siddharth Shah wins place on Jaitley-backed BSE REIT panel with 10 bankers & financiers
- Link Legal, Amarchand, Clifford Chance on GMR $246m QIP
- Find clients & cases
- I have problem with my house owner. He decided to vacate myself using one family share with my home.... (Madurai)
- Cheque bounce (Mumbai)
- Impending cheque bounce which I issued to SBI Credit card department, what should I do? (Guntur)
- I want to publish a magazine, for which I have to get RNI no: Can you help? (Hyderabad)
- lost my original land documents how to recover it (bangalore)