Your Interests & Preferences: Please help us personalise your reading
Deselect types of stories you are NOT interested in (will be HIDDEN from LI frontpage):
Always show me: (overrides the above)
Website Look & Feel
Note: Your preferences will be saved in your browser. You can always change your settings by clicking the blue Preferences button on the homepage.Reset preferences to defaults?
Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
6 hours ago
The Supreme Courts secretary general VSR Avadhani has issued a press release that its former deputy registrar (research), Anup Surendranath, had resigned on his own request as he wanted to pursue his interest in research projects in which he is involved in.
2 days ago
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas acted as legal counsel to BNP Paribas in its Rs 2,000 to 2,200 crore acquisition of Sharekhan, with AZB & Partners acting for the sellers.
J Sagar Associates (JSA) Mumbai partners Somasekhar Sundaresan, Vikram Raghani and Jamshed Bhumgara acted for the management shareholders of Sharekhan.
Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas Mumbai-based corporate partners Ashwath Rau and Shishir Vayttaden led the team for BNP. Senior advisor Anand Sinha, who was formerly deputy governor at the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), advised on regulatory aspects, while Bangalore-based employment partner Rashmi Pradeep assisted with labour law-related advice.
Tax advice was handled by Cyril Amarchand New Delhi-based tax partner SR Patnaik, while Mumbai-based partner Nisha Kaur Uberoi handled the competition law aspects.
AZB Mumbai-based partner Vaidhyanadhan Iyer acted for the multiple sellers.
The Rs 2,000 crore deal was signed on 30 July 2015 and is expected to close by 31 January 2016. The online share trading platform’s sale to BNP has been hailed as a vote of confidence in India’s equity market, reported Economic Times.
"Owing to misbehaviour and insult meted out to advocates for a pretty long time, we took a resolution to abstain and refrain from attending the court of Justice Girish Gupta,” Calcutta high court Bar Association outgoing secretary Rana Mukherjee told PTI about the reason for lawyers have boycotted Gupta’s court for six days running yesterday.
Gupta turned up to court but “retired to his chamber later in the day” after lawyers did not turn up. The bar has demanded an apology.
3 days ago
‘Man died, justice lived’: How a group of lawyers opened the SC’s doors in the dead of night but failed by dawn [READ YAKUB WRIT & MERCY PETITIONS]
Hope died, man died, justice lived, commented Rishabh Sancheti, one of Yakub Memon's advocates, about the early-morning, eleventh hour Supreme Court hearing that ultimately failed to save his client from the noose. Have you (heard) it happen in any other country?
3 days ago
Bar Council of India (BCI) chairman Manan Kumar Mishra, who is also the Bihar State Bar Council’s (BSBC) representative at BCI, apologised to the Patna high court for the “mistakes” of the BSBC as the court admonished the BSBC for calling a state-wide lawyer strike on July 15, reported the Times of India.
Chief justice L Narasimha Reddy and justice Anjana Mishra observed that the BSBC had “tarnished the image of the legal profession”, through its call to strike against corruption in the lower judiciary, even though the cause of its strike was “laudable”. The observation came as the bench was hearing an unrelated case.
Mishra appeared before the bench to apologise.
5 days ago
The cost of a five-year national law university (NLU) course has risen to record levels this year, particularly at the newer NLUs, where the total fees to educate a lawyer come to as much as Rs.2.47 lakh per year, dwarfing the fees charged by the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
27 July 2015
A new hope: Strike & war between DHCBA’s Khosla, Abhijat suspended; DCs to continue fast unto death for pecuniary jurisdiction
Things promised to return to normal in the Delhi high court on Monday after high-stakes drama last week, when the members of DHCBA received message through the newly formed SMS handle DHCBAS declaring that the strike was suspended.
27 July 2015
Delhi HC to hear PIL against DTH co’s for spamming ads onto TV screens illegally while regulators watch
The Delhi high court will hear a PIL by NGO Media Watch-India against all private DTH players and the Central Government for flouting existing laws regarding Direct to Home broadcasting, according to an article by the organisation on factly (republished in full below).
27 July 2015
Slovakian railway wagon manufacturer Tatravagoka AS, advised by Khaitan & Co, has acquired 50 per cent stakes in Jupiter Wagons and Jupiter Alloys and Steel, advised by Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas, in a deal reportedly worth Rs 100 crore ($15.6m).
Jupiter, which is one of India’s biggest railway freight car manufacturers, was advised by Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas partner Abhishek Guha, senior associate Aditya Mehra, and associate Roma A Das.
Tatravagonka drafted in Khaitan & Co Mumbai Mumbai associate partner Kartick Maheshwari on the transactional side, and associate partner Yigal Gabriel on the real estate side.
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu India Private Limited acted as Jupiter's financial adviser, while Alpen Capital acted for Slovakian company as its financial adviser.
Jupiter Wagons and Jupiter Alloys and Steel are set to be merged after this transaction completed on 14 July.
27 July 2015
The union government will urge the Supreme Court’s e-committee to allow audio-visual (AV) recording of Supreme Court proceedings to “usher transparency as it would discourage witnesses from retracting their statements” and to prevent “unwarranted delay in trials (through re-recording of witness testimony)”, reported the PTI.
The law ministry cited law commission chairman justice AP Shah’s pilot project of recording court proceedings in district courts, to request the e-committee to reconsider the AV recording proposal it had rejected last year.
AV recording of court proceedings was in the agenda of the Aam Aadmi Party during its short-lived tenure forming the Delhi government in February 2014, but does not find a place in the agenda of the party currently as it forms the Delhi government for the second-time.
53-year-old businessman-turned-lawyer Deepak Khosla who has been fighting to allow AV recording in courtrooms for years now had a win of sorts in the Calcutta high court in June when the court’s registrar allowed recording his proceedings with Khaitan & Co.
Calcutta high court Justice Aniruddha Bose made history this July as probably the first high court chamber to install a permanent video camera and a microphone on the request of Khosla.
27 July 2015
Because the union government has ordered enquiry into allegations of foul play in the Delhi lower judicial services exam (DJS) 2014, two Delhi high court judges whose relatives cleared the DJS 2014 should not be assigned cases in which the union of India is a party, or these judges should be transferred, argued the Rohini bar association president, as reported by LiveLaw.
The association president Inder Singh Saroha wrote a letter to Delhi high court chief justice G Rohini stating:
to maintain the faith and confidence in the judiciary, it is absolutely necessary that the two sitting HC judges, whose kin have been reported to have cleared the said examination, should not be assigned cases in which union government is one of the parties as these judges could be influenced by the union government, which is stated to have ordered an enquiry into the matter. Or if possible judges be posted out of Delhi so that they may not influence the independent enquiry into the scam.
A number of candidates who did not clear the DJS exam this year filed right to information requests and made allegations of foul play in the conduct of the exam, suggesting that relatives of sitting judges had cleared the exam with help from the Delhi high court, as reported by Legally India.
27 July 2015
Mumbai lawyer Abhishek Nakashe lodged a police complaint under Section 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace) against local restaurant Secret Spice, after the restaurant entered a heated argument with Nakashe over an allegedly illegally levied service charge in Nakashe’s food bill, reported Midday. Section 504 attracts two years in jail, or a fine, or both.
Under Indian consumer protection laws restaurants have to mandatorily print on their menu all their charges, including the service charge, but Secret Spice, in Mulund, Mumbai had omitted to do so on mention that a service charge was "applicable". Consequently Nakashe objected to the 8 per cent service charge levied on his Rs 525 bill.
“Service charge is a deceptive nomenclature, and rarely do restaurants clarify the per cent levied in their menus, although it is mandated that they do. While I usually pay up when eating out, I decided to take up the issue this time because there was ambiguity in the menu and the management wasn’t forthcoming with an explanation,” Nakashe told Midday.
Service charge is separate from service tax the proceeds from which go to the government. The proceeds from the service charge are distributed between the hotel or restaurant staff after deducting the damages. Consumers argue that menu items are priced to make profits and remunerate staff and the service charge is an unnecessary burden over and above this. Hoteliers argue that the service charge has replaced the generous tips that customers used to offer but have now dried up.
24 July 2015
24 July 2015
Return of the bar wars: Abhijat alleges hacked SMS’ as DHCBA prez Rajiv Khosla, secretary Abhijat suspend each other from office
One day after members of the Delhi High Court Bar Association received text messages that its president Rajiv Khosla had been suspended for alleged antibar activity, members were left confused when they received messages today that the DHCBA secretary Abhijat was suspended.
Calls for papers
- Call for Papers - International Review of Human Rights Law, Last Date - 5 Septe...
- Call for Papers International Review of Human Rights Law The International Review of Human Rights Law is an effort to address human rights issues around the world. It...
- 3 days 4 hours ago
- 31st October 2015: Call For Papers for KSLU's Student Law Review Vol:III
- Call for Papers ‘Karnataka State Law University’s Student Law Review’, Volume-III Theme: Women Related Issues The Karnataka State Law University’s Student Law...
- 3 days 19 hours ago
- Spetember 3, 2015: Indian Journal of Law and Technology, NLSIU: Special Issue on...
- Call for Papers: The Indian Journal of Law and Technology (IJLT), Special Issue on Net Neutrality The Indian Journal of Law & Technology of the National Law School of...
- 1 week 2 days ago
- Deadline: 15th September, 2015: KIIT Student Law Review
- CALL FOR PAPERS: KIIT STUDENT LAW REVIEW: SUBMIT BY 15TH SEPTEMBER, 2015 The KIIT Student Law Review (KSLR) is the flagship review (ISSN: 2348-4381) of the School of...
- 1 week 4 days ago
- 20th September 2015: RGNUL Student Law Review
- ABOUT THE LAW REVIEW The RGNUL Student Law Review (hereinafter “Law Review”) is a bi-annual, student run, peer reviewed journal based at Rajiv Gandhi National...
- 2 weeks 9 hours ago
- 1 August 2015: mirrorview journal-international journal for fresh poetry, fictio...
- Mirrorview Journal: An International Journal of Fresh Poetry and Fiction About Mirrorview Journal The journal is an international contemporary journal of fresh poetry,...
- 2 weeks 2 days ago
Latest law school events & conferences
- 2 & 3 October 2015: National Seminar on Capacity Building among Women in Ind...
- CENTRE FOR GENDER STUDIES National Commission for Women Sponsored National Seminar on Capacity Building among Women in India- Entrepreneurship & Estate National Law...
- 1 week 3 days ago
- 21 September 2015: INBA-Novartis Debate 2015, New Delhi
- INBA-Novartis Debate 2015, New Delhi Inviting participants for the INBA-Novartis Debate (From the Law Colleges of Delhi-NCR only) September 21, 2015, New Delhi. Topic :...
- 1 week 3 days ago
- 7th - 13th August 2015: Invitation for Research Methodology Workshop on Legal an...
- Dear Sir/Ma'am, Greetings from Gujarat National Law University! GNLU takes immense pleasure in apprising you that we are organising a Research Methodology Workshop...
- 1 week 3 days ago
- INBA - Novartis IPR Debate 2015 (8th September 2015) at Mumbai University, Mumba...
- Indian National Bar Association (INBA) invites Law Students of Maharashtra State for the INBA-Novartis Debate 2015 Date : September 8th , 2015 Venue : University...
- 2 weeks 4 days ago
Talk about lawyering
- College Choice
- Which College Should I Chose, NMIMS SOL or NLUJA?
- 3 days 6 hours ago
- Internship Certificate Template.
- 3 days 10 hours ago
- how is BHU 5 year law?
- how is banaras hindu university for doing 5 year law? it has introduced it in 2014.so it is a new course there.it will be really helpful if soneone could tell me about...
- 3 days 19 hours ago
- LLM in Maritime laws
- One of my friend is going to Southampton University, UK to pursue LLM in Maritime laws.. it is well known that its one of the most premier institution for Maritime law,...
- 4 days 6 hours ago
- GLC mumbai - bad reputation? No lectures, attendance, exams, etc?
- I am a student at GLC F.Y.BL.S there maybe a few flaws in the system of the college, but this college provides a platform better than the rest for a career in law. having...
- 5 days 4 hours ago
- DU Law Fac entrance exam prep?
- 6 days 23 hours ago
- When, how and from whom will I get compensation for Breach of Contract?
- I had bought some shares of X company from its seller by paying him cash and got them transferred into my demat account vide an off-market shares transfer. But...
- 14 hours 11 minutes ago
- Can ancestral property be sold without consent of successors ?
- sir, i have a small doubt about when the succesors are major,they will they have the rights in that property
- 2 days 3 hours ago
- Help regarding harassment through unwanted telephone calls.
- check the number through www.true caller.com
- 3 days 21 hours ago
- Right of grandson in ancestral property and Law of Limitation
- MY Grand father (Mother's father) died intestate,in late 80's when I was 35 years old. I was staying away from my parents due to my profession. My mother had sold the...
- 6 days 8 hours ago
- Regarding Possesion of Property
- pl call me 9246375635
- 6 days 10 hours ago
- Dubai debt collection
- I was working in UAE and had to come back to India due to job loss on 2009. I had used 1 credit card, all sum together 11000 UAE Dhirhams. I was paying regularly when I...
- 6 days 22 hours ago