Firms & corporate
Courts & litigation
School & students
The NGO Centre for Public Interest Litigation (CPIL), represented by advocate Prashant Bhushan, today declined to name the whistleblower who disclosed the alleged interference by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Director Ranjit Sinha in the 2G investigation and prosecution after meeting the accused in the 2G and coal scam cases.
The CPIL, in its affidavit filed Thursday, said that its governing body in its meeting Sep 17 decided not to reveal the identity of the whistleblower who took off the lid on the alleged interference in 2G matters by the CBI director. The NGO’s governing body consists of advocates Anil Divan, Colin Gonsalves, Shanti Bhushan, Kamal Jaswal, Kamini Jaiswal and Prashant Bhushan, reported *Mint].
The NGO said this in response to the Sep 15 order of justices HL Dattu and SA BobdeRead more at:
NLU Delhi fourth-year student Naman Mohnot has written and published a book on ragging.
He describes the book as the “first book of its own kind on Ragging, which encompasses each and every aspect of ragging viz., definition, psychological aspect, legal aspect, judicial trend, alarming statistics, role of different machineries etc”, and adds: “The book is not limit to these points, but goes beyond it and gives the steps to be followed after being ragged. Thus, this is the first benefit oriented book which provides social steps, legal steps and other steps after being ragged.”
Mohnot’s book has a foreword written by senior advocate Ram Jethmalani and former Supreme Court judge Ashok Mathur, an introductory chapter written by former Supreme Court justice Arijit Pasayat and a prologue by NLU Delhi vice chancellor Prof Ranbir Singh.
BJP politician and the party’s former national secretary Lalitha Kumaramangalam was Wednesday appointed as the new chairperson of the National Commission for Women (NCW), replacing pervious chairperson Mamta Sharma.
The announcement was made by union Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi at a press conference on the completion of 100 days of her ministry here.
Scroll.in lists nine, mostly compelling, reasons for why convicted serial murdered Surendra Koli should not be hanged, including a lack of evidence, his apparent psychopathy, iffy confession and oher circumstances. Worth a read, at Scroll.in.
Senior counsel Indira Jaising had obtained a stay on Koli’s execution in the early hours of Monday, 7 September morning, from Supreme Court Justice HL Dattu. The Supreme Court has now stayed his execution until the end of October.
Calls for papers
- 10 January 2015: Daksh Legislation Drafting Competition, 2014
- It is with great pleasure that Daksh announces the Second Legislation Drafting Competition, 2014. The success of last years’ competition prompted us to look toward...
- 6 days 12 hours ago
- Rolling submissions: JINDAL CRIMINAL LAW REVIEW : CALL FOR PAPERS
- Jindal Criminal Law Review (JCLR), a student-run, peer reviewed journal of Centre for Penology, Criminal Justice & Police Studies (CPCJPS) of Jindal Global Law School...
- 2 weeks 3 days ago
Latest law school events & conferences
- 10th to 12th October, 2014 : NUALS Parliamentary Debate Competition 2014
- [attachment] Dear Debaters, Adjudicators and Debate Enthusiasts, The Interdisciplinary Centre for Social Justice (ICSJ) at the National University of...
- 11 hours 32 minutes ago
- 12th-15th February 2015: 16th D.M. Harish Memorial Government Law College Intern...
- The Moot Court Association of Government Law College in association with the D.M. Harish foundation is pleased to announce the 16th D.M. Harish Memorial Government Law...
- 4 days 22 hours ago
- 11th Nani Palkhivala Memorial Government Law College National Tax Moot Court Com...
- "The Moot Court Association of the Government Law College regrets announcing the discontinuation of the Nani Palkhivala Memorial Government Law College National Tax Moot...
- 4 days 22 hours ago
- 8th-9th November 2014: ALL INDIA STUDENTS CONFERENCE 2014 - 1st Edition
- Centre for Economy Development & Law, Govt. Law College, Thrissur, is calling papers for All India Student Conference on "Restructuring Indian State, Society and Economy:...
- 1 week 4 days ago
- 27 - 28 September 2014: National Law Fest Lex-Bonanza, 2014 (Indore Institute of...
- [attachment] Quote: Law is the vision of the blind, The voice of the dumb, The stick of the Lame Law is the messiah-rendering solace and support to all...
- 1 week 5 days ago
- 16- 19 October 2014: Virudhaka 2014
- Cherishing 5 years of memorable journey, The Sports Committee of National Law Institute University, Bhopal brings back to you its annual sports fest, VIRUDHAKA’14, to...
- 2 weeks 1 day ago
Talk about lawyering
- Senior Counsel Status
- wheather he has to give application for seeking adjourment or only oral request
- 11 hours ago
- 10rs stamp paper
- 1 day 2 hours ago
- hello, i wanted to know whether i can do llm after doing bba or not. will i be eligible for clat post graduation exam after doing bba?
- 1 day 4 hours ago
- admission to LLB after completing CA and graduation from IGNOU
- Thank You so much for your valuable help and suggestion. Such amazing language is very well expected in a civilized culture where one belongs to. This is just for your...
- 2 days 5 hours ago
- GLC mumbai - bad reputation? No lectures, attendance, exams, etc?
- what is last years cuttoff percentage? Can i get admission with 70% in TyBa?Is there any need for giving CLAT exam?[b
- 2 days 6 hours ago
- stay order
- sir this is kiran from andra pradesh. there was a dispute between my mother and father and they live separatly and my fatheris having 1(one) acer land which he had...
- 2 days 23 hours ago
- Property rights after 10 years.
- Father expired. Total 7 children's (4sons and 3 daughters). Property goes to wife. She along with all sons appoint one of the son as GPA holder and forms a layout...
- 2 hours 14 minutes ago
- Rights of the Payee in the event of Dishonour of a Cheque
- Hello, Suppose if a person named Akash issues a cheque or another person/company or an NGO for an amount of say 50,000 INR. Please note that Akash has not taken money...
- 10 hours 7 minutes ago
- Property Transfer
- My husbands paternal uncle wants to transfer a flat that he owns to my husbands name. What is the simplest and least expensive procedure for this transfer. Also we have...
- 1 day 6 hours ago
- Jobs for fresher law graduates
- Think why you chose to become a lawyer and act accordingly. Frankly speaking, you needed to intern when you were in college.. In the event you can't think of a reason,...
- 3 days 3 hours ago
- legal advice
- My brother had taken education loan in 2009 fro Rs 1.5 lakhs. After completion of the course he has to start repayment but till now he has not started. Now from bank...
- 3 days 10 hours ago
- mental and physical harassment
- A man working in my office was behind me for 8 long months. He finally convinced me by telling fake stories about his relation with his wife. I finally have got to know...
- 4 days 4 hours ago
Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari Monday said the government will soon come up with a law and allow running of e-rickshaws in Delhi.
Addressing reporters here on the completion of his 100 days in the ministry, Gadkari said his ministry Monday brought a draft notification concerning the plying of e-rickshaws in the national capital.
He said the draft notification will be on the ministry’s website for the next 10 days.
He said soon his ministry “will make the relevant law and e-rickshaws will start plying again”.
The Delhi High Court last week said the ban on plying of “illegal” e-rickshaws in Delhi would continue till the law is amended to bring them under the ambit of the Motor Vehicles Act, adding that “what is prohibited by law is not permitted in action”.
12 September 2014
The Supreme Court Friday extended its order putting on hold the execution of the death sentence of Nithari killer Surendra Koli till Oct 29.
While extending the stay, an apex court bench headed by Chief Justice-designate Justice H.L. Dattu asked the senior counsel to place before them in bullet points the grounds on which Koli is seeking a review of the judgement confirming his death sentence by the top court.
The court will hear Koli’s review petition Oct 28.
Late on Sunda night senior counsel Indira Jaising had obtained the first stay of execution that was scheduled for Monday, in order to hear an oral review of his judgment.
More background at The Hindu.
11 September 2014
Desai & Diwanji (D&D) Delhi head and corporate partner Sumes Dewan started up last week, having left the firm two months ago. His full service start-up law firm Lex Favios has offices in Bombay and Delhi, and has 15 lawyers, including him, with at least 10 years of experience working in various law firms.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Sunder Lal has declined taking congisance of the police’s charge sheet against BJP president Amit Shah for alleged hate speech in Uttar Pradesh during the election campaign there, because the police had not tried arresting Shah, or seeking warrant or attachment proceedings under section 173 of the CrPc before filing the charge sheet in court.
The magistrate returned the charge sheet to the police to “remove errors”, reported PTI. The police charged Shah with seeking votes on the grounds of religion, race, caste and community under section 123(3) of the Representation of the People Act, and section 188 of the IPC (disobedience to order promulgated by a public servant).
11 September 2014
Madras high court chief justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul has ordered that every judgment must mention on its first page, the dates on which it was reserved and pronounced, in a bid to increase transparency of and reduce the delay in pronouncing judgments, reported The Hindu.
Kaul relied on the 13-year-old Supreme Court order in Anil Rai vs State of Bihar, in which justices KT Thomas and RP Sethi said that “if the judgment, for any reason, is not pronounced within six months, any of the parties shall be entitled to moving an application before the Chief Justice with a prayer to withdraw the case and make it over to any other Bench for fresh arguments. It is open to the Chief Justice to grant the prayer or pass any other order as he deems fit”.
Kaul has directed the the high court’s registry to create a new column in judgment templates to contain those dates, and to send him a list of all judgments reserved but not pronounced.
10 September 2014
In the petition against the Kerala government shutting down 730 bars, Supreme Court Justice Anil Dave said: “There is no logic. What do you mean sub-standard [bars should be shut]? I am a teetotaller, but even I see no logic... how do you distinguish here?”
The policy that is set to come into force on 12 September, bans liquor sales at 730 supposedly “sub-standard” bars but not at toddy shops and five star hotels, complained a number of senior advocates who appeared for Kerala bar owners, reported The Hindu.
“What are they trying to attain? Prohibition? Five-star hotels, toddy shops will all function... only certain establishments will be cut off,” argued senior advocate Aryama Sundaram, while senior counsel Rajiv Dhavan argued that bars’ licences should not be cancelled prematurely and should continue in their normal duration, until 31 March 2015.
Senior counsel Kapil Sibal countered for the state that selling liquor was not a fundamental right, that the ban was a policy decision, and that bar licences could be cancelled any time by the state. The Supreme Court will hear further arguments tomorrow.
Case of the week: Ban 'Finding Fanny' because 'vulgar' word pollutes kids' minds [Update: DISMISSED]
A public interest litigation (PIL) was filed in the Delhi high court yesterday seeking a ban of the word “fanny” from promotional materials for, and songs, title and dialogue in the Bollywood film Finding Fanny, because of the “vulgar word ‘fanny’”, reported IANS.
The petition filed by Nandini Tiwari and the NGO Jai Jagriti Foundation, represented by advocate Abhishek Krishna, also questions the UA certificate given to the Deepika Padukone starrer, which they argue would pollute childrens’ minds because the dictionary definition of “fanny” was highly sexually explicit. It is set to be heard today before chief justice G Rohini and Justice RS Endlaw.
An online dictionary defines fanny as either slang for “the buttocks” in the US or Canada, or “the female genitals” in the UK.
Update: The Delhi high court has refused to hear the petition, reported Zee and others.
09 September 2014
The former legal general manager of Advanta India, Ameya Salatry, has started a real estate, contracts, corporate, transactional, banking, business finance, licensing and intellectual property law firm in Panjim, Goa, according to Bar & Bench.
The firm, called Legal Minds LLP, was started in April 2014, according to the 2001-ILS Pune graduate’s Linked-in profile. It was also “one of the first legal firms of its kind in Goa”, Salatry told Bar & Bench, with lawyers and “corporate affairs professionals” on an “affiliation basis” in Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad.
09 September 2014
In a pre-dawn order at the residence of future CJI HL Dattu with Justice AR Dave, the Supreme Court has stayed the execution of Surinder Koli, who was convicted of the so-called Nithari serial murders and rapes that took place in Noida from 2005.
Senior counsel Indira Jaising obtained the one-week stay order hours before Koli was due to be hanged, in order to allow a fresh review petition against the sentence to be heard in an open court, reported The Hindu, in line with an earlier constitution bench judgment that it is mandatory to allow oral hearings in death penalty review cases.
Jaising told The Hindu: “We approached Justice Dattu at 1.30 am. There was a sitting of a Bench of Justices Dattu and Dave, which ordered that the execution be stayed for a period of a week until Koli’s fresh review be heard by a Bench comprising three judges of the Supreme Court in an open courtroom, where his counsel will be allowed to submit limited oral arguments on his behalf pleading for reversal of his reversal of death penalty.”
- AIBE takers in Jammu & Kashmir get raincheck
- Next CJI, HL Dattu, looks forward to heading 'best institution in the world'
- NaMo taps GNLU's Bimal to draft deep sea mining laws
- Gopal's back: Subramanium withdraws temple amicus resignation
- Jindal: World’s first law school to have more women than men teachers, highlights ‘embarrassing’ global gender balance in academia [Spoiler: It’s not the first]
- CNLU Patna grads turn around dire 2014 placements into 15 desk jobs, 2 clerkships, 7 lit, 12 LLMs
- Find clients & cases
- We are a young startup company operating in health care domain. We need legal help in drafting end ... (bangalore)
- property - a shop under dispute (Delhi)
- After parents died, want to leave family without losing property / business share but they have all ... (Sri Ganganagar)
- Non payment of Salary on International Contractual Assignment with Malaysian firm (Udaipur)
- How to get a divorce from wife, who has extramarital affair but does not consent? (Chandigarh)